roosting or not?

• 4 Replies

jeannie

roosting or not?
« on: September 22, 2012, 18:57 »
One of my chickens was being bullied nastily by the other three.  All been bought up together and no trouble for 2 years.  So I separated her and made a little nesting box and run for her.  That was all a week ago and she is now fine during the day roaming around the garden keeping a wary eye on the others but at night she happily goes to the nesting box on her own.  My question is I haven't created a roosting bar for her so she is just hunkering down in her straw lined box.  I intend to make a better arrangement for her but that will take until next week (and of course the bullies may see the error of there ways).  Will sleeping in her straw nest instead of roosting harm her in any way? Any advice thank you.

grinling

Re: roosting or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 21:15 »
Not really, but you will need to clean out the straw area daily.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 22:03 »
I have four girls and two roost and two sleep in the nest box and they are fine.sometimes they change places to so i would not worry. ;)
Pull up a perch!!

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 00:10 »
one of my girls sleeps in the nest box. ite fine but does get messy more often. :nowink:
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

jeannie

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:20 »
Thank you so much for your replies and advice - you have put my mind at rest.  And as I already clean our the sleeping area that is no problem.  As she is a big heavy hen I think possibly she is just as happy hunkering down.  The eye I thought she might have lost is now looking nearly as good as new just a bit of scarring but all now healed.  But she has got back her confidence and is working out her own strategies with me in the background just to keep an eye out on her behalf!  Thanks again for your help - I realize I am hooked on chickens with all their funny, quirky and down right nasty ways.  And the eggs well, there is nothing like them everything tastes and looks golden! Best wishes, Jeannie

xx
Roosting

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 21:06
by daisy1990
xx
Roosting outside

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 10:24
by ANHBUC
xx
Not roosting

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 20:44
by Sparr0wman
xx
Roosting

Started by davelambo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:33
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.