Is she broody?

• 10 Replies

danmegal

Is she broody?
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:07 »
Is going broody a gradual thing or does the hen just one day decide to sit tight? For the last couple of days my hybrid who I presumed would never go broody has sat all afternoon on her egg and her friends egg who shares the same box, but when I've put some corn on the grass (their evening treat) she has come out, stayed out and gone to bed as normal (I collected the eggs). She is in the nest again now, is she just teasing me or could she be broody? Will she lay any more eggs?

danmegal

Re: Is she broody?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 14:30 »
Ok so now I'm annoyed, looks like Emma is going to sit tight nearly took my arm off a minute ago when I went to check on her she is sat on 3 eggs but I've got no more to put under her, the kids had scrambled eggs and cakes at the weekend! Damn!

buzz

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 15:14 »
well, I guess that's your question answered ! I've had 2 of mine, one after the other, go broody recently and it's very fustrating ! takes them a while to start laying again too !

danmegal

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 16:40 »
Not fussed about the no eggs to eat, I would gratefully sacrifice them for some cute and fluffys, just would have liked to have a few more under her! Thats presuming she continues to stay broody (long way to go).

How long should I leave her before I put her in her own quarters as she is sat in the only nest box are there going to be squabbles?

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 16:44 »
Have you got another house and run you can pop her in?
If yes and you've only got the one nest box I'd move her tonight if you want her to hatch the eggs, squabbles could lead to eggs getting broken :(

Sarah :)

danmegal

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 16:52 »
Have a vacant rabbit hutch, guess that will be nice and snug! When is best time to move her? Before the others attempt to go to bed? They roost above the nest box or when its darker? Is she going to attack me? I've never seen her look at me quite like she did when I peered in on her earlier?

Vember

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 17:06 »
When it's nearly dark is the best time as in theory she'll settle straight back down again :)

There is a chance she will go to peck at you, my advice there would be move eggs first if she struggles and they are still under her it could get messy :(
If there are a few feathers in the nest she has now take them with the eggs and some of the warm bedding she's been sitting on :) Don't know if it helps but is just something I always do :D

danmegal

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 17:20 »
Thanks I'll move her later then, I guess if she doesn't have the distraction of the others she is more likely to stay put also! She is in a box that I could lift with her in it do you think she would go for that?

Vember

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 17:27 »
It's possible, but i think the lifting motion my make her jump off/out of the nest, really depends on the bird :)

danmegal

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 13:46 »
Well Emma has settled just lovely into her new home! I let her out to have a stretch before the dogs and other chickens this morning thinking she would feel less threatened and more likely to feed and drink etc. She was out for about 15-20 mins but didn't have a drink even though it was right infront of her, not that I'm worried at this point but how long should she leave it before she does? I have a very hot garden this afternoon, should i let her out again later? She has only been sitting for just over 24 hours didn't see whether she drank yesterday morning though. Thanks!

Vember

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 13:49 »
I'd get her out again in a bit, especially with it being  so warm she'll need some water :)

sarah :)

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 34 queries.