Erfurt

Buying new polytunnel advice please
« on: July 11, 2012, 20:58 »
Anyone have advice on polytunnels re best buy, replacement shroud etc

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: Buying new polytunnel advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 21:08 »
don't go for the really cheap ones and make sure the frame is galvanised. mine was only £50 but i've had to tape up lots of the frame already and have only had it a couple of months. The quality of the welding on the struts was shocking. Im going to take it down in autumn, chop it up and use it for netting and cloches next year and invest in a proper greenhouse.

Erfurt

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 21:17 »
I saw one online for £190 (10mx3mx3m) including delivery. Galvinised frame, replacement shroud about £70.

I dont know if its the bad weather but I've taken a shine to it as its just about affordable.

I have two greenhouses and a few coldframes so I would be using it to extend the growing season and wind protection, not as a glorified greenhouse.

Thanks for the reply

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 22:56 »
Come on people advice required
I posted a similar question  some time ago and got. Not one reply.
After all this is what the forum is about helping people make the right decisions on what or what not to buy.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 23:17 »
I'm sorry, Plot74, but I can't see a post where you asked for polytunnel advice ???
It is very unusual to get no replies to a post, we try to get to all of them ;)

here's another couple of threads about polytunnels, if it helps
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=96515.msg1071393#msg1071393
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=91304.msg1015399#msg1015399

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06 »
Not sure what style you have been looking at mine is one like the ones you can buy from first tunnels. As long as its put together well with good tension on the plastic cover it should do you a good turn.
Mine has had some strong winds at it the last 6-7 months and its still standing.  There is enough give in the frame to allow movement to take up some of the wind.
Its very dry in there unless watered every other day nightmare when hose pipe ban was on, but now finding it much easier.

I would say go for the strongest of frames you can afford even if it mean a small tunnel stronger frame as you don't want to spend time money and effort and get it all blown away.
Thanks
Kris

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39 »
I saw one online for £190 (10mx3mx3m) including delivery. Galvinised frame, replacement shroud about £70.

Do you have a link to that one? To be honest, it doesn't sound to me as though it will that strong. :( If you have the aptitude, and can source materials, you'll build something cheap and strong. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57 »
I spent a lot of time researching the cost and build of polytunnels. In the end one of the conclusions that I came to was, that if I was going to have a 'proper' tunnel (as opposed to the blow away type), that it was far more cost effective and much easier to build your own! I read all the instructions in detail for erecting the 'proper' thing and eventually decided that this option would be much easier to construct:
http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm
It would also be cheaper and can be built to the exact size you wish. :)

Erfurt

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:45 »

Do you have a link to that one? To be honest, it doesn't sound to me as though it will that strong. :( If you have the aptitude, and can source materials, you'll build something cheap and strong. ;)
I'm sorry I must apologise I got the size wrong, its 6m in length
Here is the link
http://www.feelgooduk.net/90-20ft-polytunnel-garden-greenhouse.html
It comes to about £190 including delivery

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39 »
It depends on what your budget and space is like.  I had a large area and got a nice financial present for a significant birthday so I invested in 14' x 25' First Tunnel PT with all the trimmings about 2 years ago - absolutely love it.  It took a bit of time to put up between myself and OH but First Tunnels were great with videos and over the phone help. :D

With the weather we have had this year I couldn't be without it and jokingly have threatened to cover my entire allotment with PT's as that seems to be the only place where I am getting any sort of viable crops from and where the weeds are under control.  :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 13:29 »

I'm sorry I must apologise I got the size wrong, its 6m in length
Here is the link
http://www.feelgooduk.net/90-20ft-polytunnel-garden-greenhouse.html
It comes to about £190 including delivery

I thought it would be one like that..

Erfurt

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 16:30 »

I thought it would be one like that..

I take it from experience you dont rate these, apart from building my own which would you recommend?

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 16:39 »
I really think it is something you have to spend some money on, if you're going to buy one. In this link, I recommended some "good" makes to another forum member:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81519.msg911659#msg911659

But, as I said earlier, if you have the practical ability, you can build something stronger and cheaper.

:)

Erfurt

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:15 »
I suppose I should give an update.

I bought a tunnel (6mx3mx3m) from Amazon for £89.99 a few self tappers and associated bits and bobs it came to just under £100. The same thing is now £100 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Polytunnel-Greenhouse-Transparent-Portable/dp/B0047SZF9C/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1362139730&sr=8-13
 It looks a bit flimsy but with some struts and each foot anchored (2 foot) into the ground its solid.

Its probably the best thing I've bought in a while. I am quite handy and a bit of a magpie but I seriously doubt if I could have constructed anything similar for less money.

Considering that it was erected in early August I got lots of produce from it right through the winter

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25 »
Good if it's helping you to grow - just be prepared to replace the cover in a year or 2  ;)

xx
advice on buying a polytunnel

Started by sreidy82 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 18:39
by richie
xx
Advice on buying second hand polytunnel

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 19:38
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Buying a polytunnel help

Started by Classybird on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 15:32
by Herb
xx
Buying a small polytunnel

Started by Donnay on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 15:59
by Judd

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.