Greenhouse help needed

• 2 Replies

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
Greenhouse help needed
« on: February 02, 2011, 17:24 »
I bought a an 8ftx6ft greenhouse in the sales in September so i could raise my seedlings in it.  My dad very kindly came round with this pariffin heater today:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9218863&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=parafin+heater&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true

I think it will be too small for my greenhouse but dad insists it will keep the frost out and he has used many a parriff heater before.  He also says i can portion a bit of my greenhouse off  so i am only heating a small part of it ...any ideas how i do this?

Or should i try and change it at B&Q for the bigger parriff heater?

andy135

Re: Greenhouse help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 17:32 »
I reckon that will be plenty big enough for an 8 x 6. Anything bigger and you will just be burning more fuel.
I insulate my greenhouse with plactic sheeting and bubble wrap.
Tie a piece of cord fron one end of the ghouse to the other as high as possible down the centre. Tie another piece down the inside of each of the eaves, (where the roof meets the sidewall), Then drape the plastic over the top peice and over the two side pieces and let it hang down to the floor.
This will cut down on the draughts and also help to stop the heat escaping.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Greenhouse help needed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 17:33 »
I reckon it will be fine (depends how cold it gets of course!). B&Q site says it will look after a 4 sq.m. greenhouse - which is only a smidge smaller than yours.

You could create a greenhouse-within-a-greenhouse using a sheet of plastic, or some bubble-wrap (or a 4-shelf grow-house or similar)

If you are thinking of buying your own I recommend Gas rather than Paraffin.  Less condensation / humidity and more control.  "Fuel" might be cheaper too (particularly if you can only get Paraffin locally in little 1 gallon plastic containers).

Edit: Was posting at same time as andy135

question
Advice needed on dismantling a greenhouse

Started by Lee G on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 22:26
by Lee G
grin
Advice needed on putting a greenhouse back together!!

Started by Lee G on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 16:27
by Lee G
xx
Norlett - help needed

Started by rich_exf on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 15:25
by exelero11
xx
Help, your advice needed

Started by stepha85 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 16:59
by dorimower

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 36 queries.