rotavators

• 5 Replies

ianlincs

rotavators
« on: January 28, 2011, 22:33 »
hi all im a new member and just wondered if anybody has had any of these cheap rotavators off ebay and wondered what they were like or are they any good. noticed a few people chatted about then last year,so wondered if anybody still had one and if its still going ok.

regards Ian

Gwiz

Re: rotavators
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08 »
I think you must be thinking of this thread,
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51306.0

As far as I can tell, nobody has reported any dire problems with them, in fact everyone seems to be very pleased with their machines.
I've seen a few more "EL Cheapo" rotovators since then, and I'd still say "Caveat emptor". You can't buy better than a Honda, as I'm sure Forum member Big bad Frankie would say as well. :)

ianlincs

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 18:05 »
Hi Gwiz yes this is the thread im talking about thanks for replying to my message.

Regards Ian

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 19:55 »
I would rather a old Honda than a new el cheapo
always have a target
and an objective.

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:12 »
I bought a brand new Nielson rotavator of E Bay,it was a simple self assemble jobby,it worked very well in our heavy Essex soil UNTIL the final drive to the rotors failed.
The final drive is of the worm and wheel type,having removed the inspection cover I found said wheel to have some teeth broken off and most of the others distorted,as it was under warranty I contacted the supplier who said he had a new machine damaged in transit and could send the whole final drive unit to me on receipt of the broken one (and pay me for fitting it). All this done, just out of warranty the final drive failed again,I stripped the final drive completely,my conclusions were,the wheel had never been shimmed correctly during manufacture so as the worm was driving the wheel right on the edge of its teeth and as you might haved guessed spares availability is diddly sqat.
Replaced it with a Landmaster 100 (minus engine ) 99p 0f E Bay and  the correct engine of E Bay for £1.26. Please someone tell me the correct size for the engine pulley. Cheers.

ianlincs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 20:44 »
Hi muckshifter thanks for the info think i will give them a miss.

Regards ian

xx
rotavators.

Started by sam51 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 21:25
by Dopey113
xx
rotavators

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 19:15
by Trillium
xx
Rotavators

Started by sweet nasturtium on Equipment Shed

65 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:41
by bigsprouts
xx
rotavators

Started by cooperman on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post December 13, 2007, 15:48
by cooperman

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.