About to get a Polytunnel. Advice?

• 12 Replies

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« on: February 03, 2008, 13:40 »
OH has persuaded me that we need a polytunnel!  (Okay it didn't take much persuading! 8) ).

At present we are looking at one from First Tunnels, who seem to have had good reviews on here.

Link to their site which seems very comprehensive and helpful is here: http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/home.asp

Before we take the plunge and go for it, have folk on here any advice?

At present I think we'll get the Thermal anti-fog plastic which is a bit more expensive but recommended.  Also double doors at either end and storm braces (it can be very windy here).  I'm also tempted to put in their twinline irrigation system (overhead).

We'll use the digging in method at the sides and it will be sited on new ground (field grass at present).

All advice and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Sal
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 14:41 »
if i was you i would get the base rail and base plate kit

rather then dig a trench if you need to adjust the plastic or replace it is so much easier than haven to dig up the plastic

also ground cover sheet is good

dont bother with the staging get hot spot tape

i would also recommend the roof vent too Polly's get very wet inside

mumof4

Re: About to get a Polytunnel. Advice?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 15:35 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
OH has persuaded me that we need a polytunnel!  (Okay it didn't take much persuading! 8) ).

At present we are looking at one from First Tunnels, who seem to have had good reviews on here.

Link to their site which seems very comprehensive and helpful is here: http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/home.asp

Before we take the plunge and go for it, have folk on here any advice?

At present I think we'll get the Thermal anti-fog plastic which is a bit more expensive but recommended.  Also double doors at either end and storm braces (it can be very windy here).  I'm also tempted to put in their twinline irrigation system (overhead).

We'll use the digging in method at the sides and it will be sited on new ground (field grass at present).

All advice and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Sal

Hi sal,
I've just ordered mine 12x20 I got the thermo cover, I order the ventilated ridge kit after speaking to people who had tunnels without wishing they had been able to order it. I did order the staging support kit as I want to make use of the height and I'm going  put my pots of peppers on the staging and grow stuff under the staging. I'm making my own worktop out of roofing abtons which the timber yard is going to cut to size, this will be made up into 5ft sections so i can remove each one when i need to.

I can't put in the irrigation as it's on the allotment and we haven't got a hose connection. Everyone I speak to also told me to fix the cover with a timber base as it's so much quicker and the cover fit is tighter and i was ordering anchor plates anyway. First tunnels said i wouldn't really need doublw doors if i had the vent kit so i've just gone for a wider door at the front.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 17:39 »
Thanks for the replies folks.  Much to think about.  I'm tempted by the ridge ventilation kit, but the info on the site isn't great so I'm finding it hard to imagine.  I wonder how effective it is?

Still debating the method for the base etc.

naturesparadise

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 17:52 »
trust me the last polly i had was a pain in the bum

digging a trench then after some wind it went lose  trust me base rail is worth the extra

Clampit

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 18:45 »
Having built poly-tunnels for the last eight years for Fordingbridge and National Poly-tunnels I would definately recommend a wooden base rail, or even a aluminium rail if you can afford it.
I have done a lot of refurb work on old poly-tunnels, some of those with roof vents. In my experience customers have had a lot of problems with these, with leaking and breaking. They are a pain when it comes to re-sheeting. I wouldn't bother with louvres in the gable ends of your tunnel, they are a complete waste of time giving very inaffective ventalation.
If i was buying a tunnel I would go for a base rail, a mid rail with netting inbetween the two and a wind up vent system. I would have double doors at both ends of the tunnel (preferably sliding.)
I would also have crop bracing, ( the bars that run horizontally on each hoop just above head height, handy for supporting spray lines and hanging baskets. I have seen tunnels without anti hotspot tape on and the sheets have lasted a good eight years. Anti hotspot tape has a glossy cover which wears off in time leaving a rough, abrasive surface which will quickly damage your sheet.
PM me if you need any advice, but i would recommend looking at Fordingbridge and National poly-tunnels websites just to get some ideas before buying.
(Fordingbridge polytunnels can be found at polyhouses.com as the company is mainly manufacturing curved roof structures now.) I hope this has been helpful.

neal

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 19:24 »
I agree with the base rail and plates.I fitted base plates to stop the tunnel sinking in strong winds which will happen if not. Trenching was the method I used never again will use base rails when time to recover.The plates do two jobs when using base rails they stop tunnel lifting and  sinking. The thermal cover with anti- fogging properties only last one
season and then revert to standard UVI polythene so is the expense worth it ?.
Double doors are ideal I have a single + a double and can only get the wheelbarrow in at one end. :oops:
With the irrigation do you need to water all the tunnel in one go ?.
Micro sprayers at soil level may be the answere as I found (try LBS).
4 down each side on my 25ft tunnel are more than enough. And they have small taps on so watering can be localised to your needs.
Crop bars do stabilize them in strong winds but they still move alot.
You have to be brave inside one with a 60mph gale blowing as I found out last weekend. Make your own out of steel conduit you can make 5 for the cost of 1. Hot spot tape is a must.

mumof4

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "neal"
The thermal cover with anti- fogging properties only last one season and then revert to standard UVI polythene so is the expense worth it ?.

Oh is that really true has anyone else noticed a differnce after a year as first tunnels said that they guarantee it will work for 4 when i questioned them

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 20:16 »
Again thanks for the advice friends.

I will look at the site you recommend Clampit.  Thanks.
Neal, you mention making your own - my OH was keen on this idea. He's an engineer and fairly handy so could probably do so.  Any pitfalls?  Meaning little quirks he should be aware of?

So much to think of. . . .

neal

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 21:21 »
I made all the optional extras my self born and bred in Yorkshire nuf said :D.
I phoned the tunnel maker for the size of the base plates  these are 9" sq with a hole in the middle to suit the ground tube a u bolt( exhaust clamp type) each side of plate holds the plate in place and the tubes cannot sink.
  They were very help thinking they were selling me extras  :roll:
The crop bars are 25 mm electrical steel conduit the same length as tube over the door as it is in my case. Your supplier supplyed mine and at 4 year old I would think the constrution would still be the same
  Just squeeze the ends flat drill a hole in each end . Your hubbys in the same trade as me he'll have no trouble with the extras. Just pay for the basics and let him make the rest . I have got all the construction guides
for this manufacturer including all extras. if a moderator could let me know how to get them to you ,your home and dry. I'm quite new to this posting lark but willing to help all can. The plastic wil last well past 4 year but not the anti-fogging treatment 1 season only. 10 years with good care is not unusual for the plastic

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 13:58 »
Have you clared the site?
If not, spray it with Roundup (glyphosphate)on to kill the grass.It's dead as soon as it shows yellowing on the geen bits, its safe and you can replant as soon as you like but remove all the dead organic matter first.  Rotovate before you put the structure up. Rotavating inside a tunnel is hot hard work and ther is a real risk of damaging the cover.

jack1e

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 15:54 »
anyone no of anywere in  n.ireland 2 buy pollytunnels looking for a 10or12x25or30 thanks for any help. neal read your post an sounds good i have friends who can make stuff for me an would be greatfull if you could send me your construction guide .Send me a PM.
  bit confused about hot spot tape 1 post said no the other said yes anyone else have info about this any help would be welcome.thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 18:05 by noshed »

gazvw

Re: About to get a Polytunnel. Advice?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 13:47 »
Try http://www.morrispolytunnels.co.uk. We got our tunnel at the end of last yr but are only getting around to putting it up this wkend!

Anyone know where to get irrigation kits in N.Ireland or have recommendations on whether to use sprinklers or porous pipe?

Gary.

xx
Buying new polytunnel advice please

Started by Erfurt on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
small polytunnel advice

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 16:41
by Plot74
xx
advice on buying a polytunnel

Started by sreidy82 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 18:39
by richie
xx
Advice on buying second hand polytunnel

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 19:38
by ConfusedGardener

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.