Greenhouse staging

• 9 Replies

Casey76

Greenhouse staging
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:20 »
I was just wondering what everyone used for greenhouse staging? Is it worth buying specific staging or what could be used in its place?

I was thinking of having staging down one side and using the other side for growing.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse staging
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:02 »
That's exactly the set up I have  :)  I've got wooden staging, which wasn't the cheapest option, but has lasted very well, so was worth the initial investment.  I also use big square gravel trays on the top to stop water dripping down, so anything stored underneath doesn't get soaked.  All my empty pots, feeds, fleece and other bits are on the bottom shelves.

I grow seedlings on top of the staging in the spring and the trays mean I can water from the base, which is very useful for fine seeds or tiny seedlings.  Later on I grow plants - compact varieties of peppers, chillies and bush or trailing tomatoes.  I usually have cordon toms all along the other side  :)

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:37 »
I have some proper aluminium staging in a couple of the greenhouses but also use the 'blowaway' mini greenhouses and the shelving that that company (?) makes. These can then easily be lifted outside for hardening off, which leaves ground space inside for other things.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 17:28 »
i made my own with roof batton  very simle to make

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 17:57 »
Pick up cheap blow a ways at the end of season in Wilko then early season you have a grow house in the greenhouse for extra frost protection, each layer is worth two weeks in the sowing schedule.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 18:25 »
Pick up cheap blow a ways at the end of season in Wilko then early season you have a grow house in the greenhouse for extra frost protection, each layer is worth two weeks in the sowing schedule.

Unfortunately we don't have Wilkos in France ;)

My 4 shelf blow away (currently on my terrace) was €40, and that was the cheapest I've seen them  :unsure:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45 »
Stage 1) Staging in our greenhouse follows some sort of rotation, in that we have just one side wall with removeable staging (cedar) in the winter. There are water trays along the end and sides of the rest of the space.

Stage 2) In spring, we take out the overwintering shrubs like fuchsias, and move them into a temporary blowaway fixed to the back. Then we assemble four x four shelf sets of black collapsible shelving (stored in the roof or the woodshed after a good wash down each year) and stand them in the greenhouse spaces, along all the walls and at the end, for all the trays of seedlings etc.

Stage 3) Finally, in summer, we take out all the staging, (except for a small work area in one corner, store the black stuff and the blowaway, and stick the cedar 'winter' staging outside at the back of the greenhouse, on which we grow carrots etc in buckets, high up. Then we have the trays on the ground for tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

(Did you get all that..;0) We've just completed stage 2...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:53 »
I mostly use the frames from blowaways, though I have a very snazzy bench that Cadalot, who used to be a member here, gave me. I also have four 4ft shelves that I can fix to the walls at variable heights.

I grow in all the borders, so the staging comes out at some point, which is when the shelving becomes a really good thing to have for tumbling tomatoes etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 09:24 »
I've struck lucky, cos my new 8 x 8 greenhouse got delivered yesterday and came with free aluminium staging, enough for one side  :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 10:44 »
The aluminium staging I have in the big greenhouse has removable trays and the plan was to take the trays out and grow in the border through the frame. However, the dog has decided that she is having her bed there, so not as much growing space as planned.
I've had pots of rootstocks on some weed membrane on on of my beds, as I've been grafting them I have moved them into the shade behind the greenhouse. With the sunshine we had yesterday the dog decided she wanted her bed outside so took up residence in the empty space on the raised bed, I guess it was warmer than the concrete slabs. If only she'd read the results of the polythene experiment she would have known it was warmer on top of the clear polythene  :D

xx
Greenhouse staging?

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 22:04
by shaun
xx
greenhouse staging

Started by lucywil on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 13:10
by lucywil
xx
Greenhouse staging

Started by Jasper1 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 02:29
by Kristen
xx
Anyone got a 2ft deep lean- to Greenhouse and can advise on staging/shelving?

Started by PennyS on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 22:39
by PennyS

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.