Greenhouse/Polytunnel/Shed. I just can't decide, please help

• 5 Replies

Shallot

• Hi I'm Mark
Hello all

I am now in the position to buy myself a shed/greenhouse/polytunnel but I just can't decide whats best

At the moment Im thinking of getting a decent polytunnel and a reasonably large shed, within the rules ofcourse

I have a retailer in mind for the shed, its the polytunnel Im struggling with. I had a polytunnel on my old plot but it wasn't practical to take it with me so I donated it to the sites community group

My current plot is only 100 square metres, thats ideal for me what with the back problems. I have sent an email to the allotment office asking if theres a size limit on polytunnels to see where I stand

Does anyone have advice as to where is the best place to buy a polytunnel, I have to factor in that my plot is on an exposed site

Thank you for reading and hope someone can point me in the right direction

All the best

Mark

merky587

• Pent Garden Sheds
Re: Greenhouse/Polytunnel/Shed. I just can't decide, please help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:28 »
I built my own 12ft x 10ft polytunnel using scaffold tubes driven into the ground. I then put blue water pipe over the tubes to create the hoops and then used wood either end for a frame. I bought the sheet online and whilst I have seen many bought polytunnels blown to pieces, mine has withstood high winds, a flash flood that went in one door and out of the other. It cost around £250 to build and has seen me produce tons of food right into November. I bought a 10 x 8 shed online which does the job and is a great getaway :)

barley

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 19:10 »
take a look on ebay - you can get some good  deals on green houses there

Shallot

• Hi I'm Mark
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 17:19 »
Thanks for your replies

I ordered a 9X12 wooden greenhouse and a small wooden tool store

They should be onsite on Monday

I opted for all round shelving in the greenhouse

I plan to tack chicken wire over the windows to give an extra level of security, it has polycarbonate windows so all should be well

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 14:04 »
I built my own 12ft x 10ft polytunnel using scaffold tubes driven into the ground. I then put blue water pipe over the tubes to create the hoops and then used wood either end for a frame. I bought the sheet online and whilst I have seen many bought polytunnels blown to pieces, mine has withstood high winds, a flash flood that went in one door and out of the other. It cost around £250 to build and has seen me produce tons of food right into November. I bought a 10 x 8 shed online which does the job and is a great getaway :)

i've done the same. if your thinking of this please bare my mistake in mind and think over the costs.

i tried to reduce the cost of the build by using the smaller pipe (32mm i think), this is not strong enough and you do need the 60 ish mm pipe. i over come the problem with wooden supports, this prob cost the same as the extra for the pipe. the wood supports do get in the way a little.

also unless you can acquire 2 of the 3 main components you should weigh up the costs, i found it wouldn't have been much more buying a proper (but not a cheap green thing) off the internet. luckily i was given the polythene by my dad and acquired the poles.

i do love it though, wouldn't be with out a poly tunnel now, more versatile than a greenhouse imo.

barley

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 18:19 »
heres my home made one

made from scrap wood I've had in the shed for years and years and polycarbonate sheeting ( the sort you use on conservatories ) got it second hand on ebay cost about £150
used angle irons hammered into ground to fix posts too and roof battening for roof !!

measures 13ft square roughly

reminds me of a japenese room LOL !! I call it my ice cube

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 18:23 by barley »

xx
Greenhouse or polytunnel?

Started by brownp on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:30
by Goosegirl
question
Polytunnel or Greenhouse?

Started by stompy on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Greenhouse or polytunnel

Started by LeeFrost on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 13:28
by LeeFrost
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by ytyynycefn on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2006, 19:17
by big green bloke

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 35 queries.