Hygiene stuff

• 3 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Hygiene stuff
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:19 »
Compiling a list of the powders, potions and lotions I think i need re attack on mites, lice, general cleaning for both my hens and the coop, and the run/free range area that is dirt covered in wood chippings....I've racked up a fair bill up to press, but not placed an order yet, as i'm not sure if i'm doubling up on stuff.
Can someone please advise of the basic things i might need, poultry shield, mite stuff etc, for both the birds, their coop and "their" garden.
Oh and as it'll be an internet order, any recommendations who best to use...have been looking on "I like chickens" as they seem to stock a wide range of stuff all in one place.
Many thanks in advance.

ehs284

Re: Hygiene stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36 »
No answers yet, so here are a few ideas.
Before buying anything - You need a system with "procedures" for cleaning, maintenance etc which suits you and your schedules (working, children etc) and with that will come the type of preventive strategies which suit your needs. A lot will also depend on access to water and electricity.

Concentrate on prevention. Metal food bins are expensive but earn their keep as they are rodent and chook proof. DE treatment works well to prevent mites. Do you need an electric fence (etc)? People worry about foxes, but I've had much more trouble with domestic dogs. do a bit of risk analysis.

Don't buy lots of material with a limited shelf life. Most things are easily bought when you need them and storage creates problems in itself.
Things like anti-pecking spray you might never need so just find out where your nearest farm supplies shop is located and get it if you need it.

Many household first aid items are just fine for chooks, although once used for them II'd keep them just for chooks. Savlon liquid and cream, dettol, wound powder, vaseline, scissors are all things you'd find in your first aid/bathroom cabinet.

Lots of posts on sanitizers - but again bleach is OK (check for plastics); just use the same precautions as with children.

You will need to worm - I do it every 6 months using flubenvet. Again don't buy until you need it as it has a shelf life. Vaseline or vegetable oil for scaly leg seems effective (again see posts)

Wood chippings are fine.

Diatomaceous earth (again see posts) is best ordered via ebay and get a big bag much cheaper than poultry suppliers and it will keep.

I can't comment on "I like chickens", but apart from the DE (which i would not get from them) you might find the local farm supplies shop best (e.g. for Flubenvet) because, although they may be a tiny bit more expensive there is no delivery charge and you'll be going there anyway for your pellets.

Most important - don't panic. It is easy to read this forum and think only of problems, but that is what it is for; it doesn't reflect everyday experiences. Enjoy the chooks.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25 »
I had a quick look on i like chickens and noticed that some of the items they stock do the same thing (i.e. they are selling a few different branded items that do the same thing which can make it a bit confusing)

I agree on the previous reply, you probably wont need a lot of the items but find a local supplier and make a note of their opening hours. Thankfully i've only ever had a sick chick once and would you believe it, it was 5'oclock on a Friday afternoon. Thankfully my local supplier was open until 6pm. Sometimes you pay a bit more, sometimes a bit less but when it's their health you cant always wait for soemthing to be delivered.
I buy diatom powder off ebay and everything else local (who also are available on internet but they are just down the road from me so it cuts out p+p costs)

I recommed ACV and garlic, they are natural products and cheap.

I use diatom powder for dusting the birds when i first get them and i add it to their dust bath. I also sprinkle / puff it around their coop after i've cleaned and layed fresh bedding (try to let it settle before the chooks go back in as its very fine and dusty)

Cleaning the coop. I poop pick daily and top up on the shavings, check for red mites. periodically i empty it all, sometimes i jet wash it as it gets into the nooks and crannies, sometimes i scrub it with jeyes fluid. Once it's dried i spray it with poultry shield, once thats dry i sprinkle with diatom powder.
I treat the coop once a year with wood preservative.

The run. It will very much depend on whether your run is covered. At the moment mine is on mud and slabs. I poop pick daily. Digging over the mud will help keep things fresh. I use Stalosan F to sprinkle over the mud and slabs when they are dry. I also periodically jetwash the slabs and use jeyes fluid (keep the chooks out as they will try to drink it)

I wash the feeders and drinkers a couple of times a week (more in winter if they get them muddy, and they will) in antibac washing up liquid, sometimes a weak bleach solution and rinse well

My strategy is little and often but i work from home so its easy for me to do it. So little and often in the week (takes minutes), and a bigger clean at the weekend

As in the previous answer a lot of other stuff you will already have in the medicine cabinet or in your home

I give them vermex once a month to PREVENT worms and flubenenvet 2 - 3 times a year to get rid of any worms they may have (i know people who dont worm at all and have no problems)

I've never needed antipeck or purple spray but like i said i have a good supplier on my doorstep

I have 5 chickens and 2 children who are now 13 and 11 but ever since we've had chickens we have always drilled it into them about hand washing with antibac and shoes are always off at the door anyway.
(sorry for the long reply)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 13:23 »
Thanks very much for the advice....was beginning to think I was being ignored...fab site this, and so helpful....cheers again.

xx
chicken supplies ,drinkers hygiene stuff etc

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 14:46
by Foxy
xx
Hen Hygiene

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:51
by GrannieAnnie
xx
chook run hygiene

Started by lottienewbie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 10:40
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Hygiene and a static run

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:03
by batty810T

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.