Poorly Brahma

• 5 Replies

The Chicken Lady

Poorly Brahma
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:18 »
This advice will come too late for me now but I only found this site late today. My Brahma cockrel - which I had as a day old chick, now about 8 months old - started falling over on Sunday and did not roost on his perch that night. The next day I took him to the vets. He had a temperature and was given antibiotics. The next day he was no better and had a steroid injection. Today he could not stand at all and as I could not find out what was wrong with him I made the decision to have him put to sleep. Has anyone any idea what could have been the matter. All my other hens seem to be OK - I hope it was nothing catching.  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Poorly Brahma
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45 »
Welcome to the site Chicken Lady.

So sorry to hear about your cockrel  :cry:   It's very difficult to say what was wrong with him,  it could have been so many different infections but it certainly would be an infection as he had a high temperature.  

It may have got into him through a small wound and given him a septicaemia which would account for the swift decline in his condition.  If it was in his lungs you would have seen difficulty in breathing and probably a blue comb so it doesn't sound like that.  I'd stick with septicaemia from a small wound, in which case it would not be infectious for your other birds.  

But do keep a good eye on the rest for any problems.  And let us know how things go   :!:

muntjac

Poorly Brahma
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:00 »
any other symptoms  chicken lady , as laying down is the first of a number of chicken problems
still alive /............

The Chicken Lady

Poorly Brahma
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 09:33 »
No other symptoms. He had made his hocks sore because he was shuffeling round on them. His temp. could have been raised if he was in pain. Had to have him put to sleep as his very feathery legs were just stretched out at the side of him and he was just lying in poo. He was begining to show signs of stress. I was upset but today is another day and eggs I have had in an incubator are begining to hatch - so the cycle of life goes on. Thanks anyway for giving advice. At least with this experience I have found this very useful website. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Poorly Brahma
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:09 »
Sorry to hear that Chicken Lady  :cry:   You did the best for him  :!:

little miss muffat

Poorly Brahma
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 00:24 »
so sorry to here about you bird chicken lady, its so hard to know what to do when the bird isnt showing any signs but you did the right things, as much as any of us would have done  im sure. I agree with Aunt sally, im thinking infection because of the temp being high.
M Power

xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by Ruthy Bear on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 19:37
by joyfull
xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by HelenandPat on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 20:51
by HelenandPat
xx
Brahma with a poorly tummy?

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 11:30
by Daisycow
xx
Brahma's red face

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 07:48
by Lynda_T

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.