Bees in the bird box...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Bees in the bird box...
« on: May 07, 2020, 20:03 »
Several years ago, I made a bird-nesting box, and some years, we had some visitors, other years, nobody!

This year, it seems we have a bee family living in there, and every time I tap the box, a furious buzzing comes out! We thought they might be hornets, so I had to look, and here are a few pics of the inside - I suppose the odd feathers etc., are from some previous inhabitants, and I don't want them to go away if they're happy there...

Anyone else had this lovely situation to deal with/appreciate?
DSCN9175.JPG
DSCN9176.JPG
DSCN9178.JPG
DSCN9177.JPG

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Re: Bees in the bird box...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 22:42 »
Yes, I  had this in my nest box a couple of years back, its tree bumble bees. Good news is they will be gone by the end of the summer! Mine were no bother to me as the box was at the back of the shed so I didn't need to go near it,  apparently they dont like vibrations though.......

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:47 »
Yes, I  had this in my nest box a couple of years back, its tree bumble bees. Good news is they will be gone by the end of the summer! Mine were no bother to me as the box was at the back of the shed so I didn't need to go near it,  apparently they dont like vibrations though.......

Aaaah - thank you Robin!

They never seem to come out, so I don't know what stage the nest id in, but they look like charming little creatures!

Ha ha ha about the vibes too...!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 14:44 »
Yesterday, I was cleaning out the "Pig Sty".    A term meaning where everything goes that we cannot think of anywhere else to put it   !!!  There is a York Stone Slab raised on bricks, as I started to sweep under there...…..
out they came, not bees but small hairy bumble bees.     I just told them I wasn't going to hurt, and just carried on sweeping albeit, a little less vigorously.  I had a peep today and they are still about,  but I cannot see a nest.
Would they make one?  and are they different to honey bees ?     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 17:12 »
Bumble bees make there  nest in abandoned burrows or holes in brickwork in the ground, they wont hurt you
we have 2 Ecium growing and there covered in bees fascinating to watch them  :)
I Love my green house

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 18:01 »
They're lovely creatures, and I met a great chum earlier who explained the term 'lecking', so a quick Google turned up this!

https://nascotwoodbees.co.uk/?p=456

And as Robin quite rightly says, they dislike 'vibration'!

We're thrilled to have them here, and as long as JRT doesn't try to eat them - as she does wasps, hornets etc, we're looking forward to the big dance they all do later on!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 23:09 »
Thanks for that Growster, interesting, My lesson for today.     Reading it has made me wonder.  A couple of feet from were I was thinking their nest is, there is a stump of a Cordyline, probably a couple of feet in diameter.
The last few weeks, I had noticed a little sort of borrow going in underneath it and it looks as if something has been chewing the now rotten stump.     Could the bees actually be in there ?  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 05:15 »
Thanks for that Growster, interesting, My lesson for today.     Reading it has made me wonder.  A couple of feet from were I was thinking their nest is, there is a stump of a Cordyline, probably a couple of feet in diameter.
The last few weeks, I had noticed a little sort of borrow going in underneath it and it looks as if something has been chewing the now rotten stump.     Could the bees actually be in there ?  Mrs Bouquet

Not sure, really, Mrs B...

Robin (above), may be able to help...:0'

xx
Visit to the bees!

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2023, 06:54
by GraciesGran
clip
We have a colony of... Red Mason Bees.

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 09:26
by madcat
clip
Bees in my Compost heap

Started by Kentgardener on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2019, 17:39
by jezza
xx
What is this bird ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 08:45
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.