I love my cats but...

• 11 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

I love my cats but...
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:43 »
finding it really hard to cope with them hunting all the fledglings that are about at the moment.

Yesterday they maimed a starling fledging beyond help so we had to cull it. They have already killed a blue tit that had decided to nest in the top of the water pump on the patio (was a bit of a stupid place to nest). This morning they had got a blackbird fledgeling. It's parents were going nuts trying to scare them off and it looks like the male had had a bit of a tussle as definitely had ruffled feathers. Managed to find what I think is their nest (tucked in the hedgerow just above where the fledgling was) and put the bird back in as it was still alive and didn't seem too badly injured. Left it yelling for its parents so think it might be ok.

I know that fledglings should not be handled but the alternative was to leave it to be killed by the cats. I will have to try to keep the cats in during the day to try to minimise the damage they can do. Got one of those cat flaps that can be set to just allow them into the house but not out.

I do love my cats and it is just their nature but think they are going to have to be under house arrest for a while!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: I love my cats but...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:11 »
I don't think they can help themselves when they find an easy target like a fledgling  :( 

The only cat I had used to carefully bring me live and usually unharmed wildlife.  She would run up to me meowing with a mouthful of something and if I held my hand out, she would drop it in my palm.  The look on her face if it was a bird that promptly took off and flew away was priceless  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47 »
Wish mine would bring them unharmed!

I did rescue a starling during the snow and kept it in the greenhouse overnight to allow it to dry out and for it's wounds to stop bleeding. I released it in the morning and it flew off down the garden with one of the cats in close pursuit! The cat was so focused on the bird that she ran straight into one of the ducks! There was a lot of quacking and the cat sauntered off with that look of embarrassment. If she could whistle I'm sure she would have.  :tongue2:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 13:58 »
My Millie is a terror.  I'm afraid to put food out for the birds because I'd rather have them hungry but alive!  ::)  Made me smile Kate, occasionally she will fall off something and I can almost see her blushing under her fur!  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 15:34 »
Ah we had a tramatic experience last weekend with a blackbird fledgling.  My little boy saw what he thought was a ball on the ground and our cat staring at it - this was on Friday eve.  The ball moved, he ran over and shooed the cat away but in the process I think he may have frightened the mummy/daddy bird away  :(.  We kept it overnight and it looked quite perky, fed it mushed up worms and soaked dry dog food and it was jumping around all over the place.  Unfortunately it started to look a bit sad by Sunday afternoon and it eventually died.  My little lad so was upset but like we told him it was that or the bird got chewed up and thrown around by ours or someone else's cat.  Sometimes the weaker babies do get left behind.  What can you do?  On a lighter note my cat brought home a sausage roll once.  The look of total disgust on her face when a dared to pick it up and put it in the bin was priceless!   :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02 »
On a lighter note my cat brought home a sausage roll once.  The look of total disgust on her face when a dared to pick it up and put it in the bin was priceless!   :lol:
Hope it was dead?  :ohmy: ::) :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 16:31 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:Indeed it was!  Unlike the live RAT that my last cat, my dearest Esme, brought in for me  :ohmy:.  That was a great evenings entertainment trying to get that out  :blink:.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 17:34 »
:lol: :lol: :lol:Indeed it was!  Unlike the live RAT that my last cat, my dearest Esme, brought in for me  :ohmy:.  That was a great evenings entertainment trying to get that out  :blink:.
Ah yes..... we only ever had the one (thankfully).  Took my eldest ages to catch it but it was quite cute (I can see why people keep them as pets).   :D  Now we just have the occasional mouse hunt!

I knew the last one had to be behind the curtain as they (Millie & Izzy) were sitting, staring at it.   So, I very carefully moved it and there it was about 3 feet up.  It just jumped onto my dressing gown and I carried it outside!  :lol:  Maybe I'm getting a 'rep' with the local mouse population.  Do you think they'll award me the order of the grand cheese?  ::) :D

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 18:40 »
Oooh we had mice.  Esme started bringing lots in after my son was born.  OH woke up one night, felt a stinging on his lip and found a little mouse staring at him.  We think the mouse nibbled at him.  Wah!!! Then in our 'store room' Esme would sit outside the door for hours.  I made OH clear the entire contents of the room out, insisting there was a mouse in there.  He got to the last box of 'stuff' and there quivering in the bottom of the box was a tiny mouse.  Very cute  :lol:.  We don't have a cat flap now. We got a new door after Esme died and didn't think we were going to inherit another cat!  Pip can sit in the porch and wait to come in and she'll let us know if she wants to go out by scratching at the blinking carpet  ::). She knows the drill!  She is regularly seen by neighbours pigeon wrangling, so if we had a cat flap and she brought that in, what with the dog too, it would be utter carnage!  :blink:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 19:09 »
Tis quite disconcerting to hear the cat flap go but there is no cat....just a headless pigeon... :nowink:

And why is it that when you catch a mouse, and they see you do it, they still look for it (maybe mine are either far too trusting or mentally challenged?)? 

:D

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 19:36 »
Or a bodyless head  :( !  I think that cats cannot believe you would have the audacity to remove their 'playthings'.  Although I did get caught out by Pip!  Hee hee, we bought her one of those cat laser light thingummies for Christmas.  We had great fun shining the laser light on the walls/floor and her going nuts chasing it.  Then, I was shining the light, having a great time only to look up and see her staring straight at ME!  Blinking slowly as if to say 'I cannot believe it was YOU all long - ppffff - I'm disgusted with you, ashamed, I now wish to be alone!' 

Remember 'Dogs have Owners, Cats have Slaves'!  ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 19:59 »
Oh, yes, I know that look!  "But mummy, I can't believe you'd do that to me".   :ohmy: :lol:

xx
As much as I love my cats...

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 16:46
by Livinhope
xx
Anybody love tortie cats?

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 17:12
by Goosegirl
xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
True Love.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:33
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 37 queries.