laying

• 2 Replies

Bailz

• Experienced Member
laying
« on: March 27, 2011, 19:45 »
hi people, this may be a silly question but i have just been to put my chicks in and there were 2 eggs in the house and 1 just on the ground is there a reason why one of them have laid outside the house? cheers bailz
Cheers Bailz

hillfooter

Re: laying
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 23:28 »
If they are young hens or starting laying again after a break it sometimes takes them a while to settle down to a regular laying rhythm.  Eggs sometimes are laid unexpectedly.

Other reasons include malformed eggs, soft shells.  Such eggs are often laid outside a nestbox.  Hens seem to know when an egg is none viable and will purposely lay it outside the nestbox.  they also sometimes eat these eggs or peck them to destroy them.  I assume this is instinctive behavour to prevent a clutch of viable eggs being contaminated with a none viable one. 

Other possibilities are parasite infestation in the house including red mite.  Sometimes they are reluctant to roost if there's a red mite infestation.  Check the house and nestboxes by torch light or place two lighlt dampened (to create high humidity) egg boxes with the egg compartments interlocked and leave in a nestbox overnight.  In the morning separate the egg boxes and check for tiny red or dark brown mites less than 1mm across in the egg box.  If RM are indicated there's litterally dozens of threads on the site refering to their control and eradication.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

Bailz

• Experienced Member
Re: laying
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 16:00 »
i think it was the hens first egg as it was first time we had 3 we only been getting 2 so maybe as they get used to things they will start using nest thanks loads some great advice cheers bailz

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Laying away

Started by JudyLou on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 01:14
by EJCTM

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.