What scraps do you feed your chickens

• 15 Replies

Feathers

What scraps do you feed your chickens
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:04 »
I feed them a combination of pelletts, corn and grit - but what scraps can you feed them any advice welcome as I have had them a week they are adorable - addicted already and want to treat them as well as I can  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What scraps do you feed your chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09 »
the only other things I add to that is porridge made with water when it's frost or snowy, sweetcorn, bananas, tomatoes and meal worms but please only give extra treats in very small amounts as they will get fat which is not good for them. If you have yours in a run you could give them a cabbage hung up so they have to stretch to get it and other greens to make up for the loss of grass. Some people also make a mash up of boiled potato peelings and other veg.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15 »
My girls get chopped up fresh spinach leaves from the supermarket.  Sometimes I throw a handful of frozen peas in their hot porridge.  I hang a cabbage in their run and also a large broccolli head.  They like a large cauliflower head hung in there too, once in a while.  I learned the hard way not to hang PURPLE cabbage, as it turns their poo, and I'm not making this up, bright aqua!   :blink:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:41 »
Mine love pasta and rice but only as a treat now and then

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:44 »
The few pieces of stale bread we have left over, and we throw the veg peelings in to let them pick them over, but some days or the odd day i will dig some ground over so they can get to the grubs etc.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 00:37 »
Am I being naughty /stupid/ sick....but I'm rather tempted to give mine some purple cabbage to see if this is true!!!

Spana

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:35 »
I waste nothing.  Everything that is edible is eaten by someone or something here.  So what ever the hens get as scraps will not be a huge amount.  They get all green waste, like cabbage or sprout peelings,  sometimes whizzed in the magi with a slice of bread or crusts.  Any fat cut from a joint _ i can hear sharp intakes of breath   :lol:- pasta, rice,  cooked veg, right down to the bread crumbs from cutting bread are brushed into my hand and thrown over the gate to them.  I must say they come after the dogs and the wormery takes raw stuff that they dont get.
I have about 80 hens, they all look in excellent condition and  I dont sell any eggs. They have pellets adlib and a scratch feed of wheat before bedtime.

Oh, and if i have any eggs that have been laid away they get those as well, boiled,   cooled and whizzed in the magi mix still in the shell, so they get the lot.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:39 by Spana »

Feathers

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:53 »
Kym 503

it is a little tempting  :wub: but I cant do that to my new babies just yet can I  ;)

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 14:02 »
Go on, do it, you know you want to....... After all, it will be an experiment and a learning experience.  Now what about cherries?  Would you get red poo?   Mangoes ... hmmmmm!!!

grumpydad

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 16:41 »
mine usually have no treats until the afternoons, let them eat layers pellets etc in the mornings, but grapes for giving worming is good, mealworms are to die for, fresh and dried, coked rice and pasta are loved as well

chooksbury

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 16:44 »
 ;)  Blue blue electric blue, thats the colour my chookies pooh (with apologies to Mr Bowie)  Go on, do it !  If it doesn't hurt them the only effect will be high visibility blobs.

Ours are into watercress and spinach snipped with the scissors, with a few grapes or raisins in and the crust off my toast in tiny pieces.  This is at about mid morning ... followed by corn in the afternoon.  They have pellets adlib and a couple of times a week, a swinging corn cob to nom at.   

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 23:38 »
hiya,
hanging the likes of a cabbage or others greens up for them great. Not only a food treat but keeps them entertained

steve

redspookycooky

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 17:31 »
hi i feed mine anything we have left over from bread to veg peelings, i hang a caabbage from string a couple of times a week so they can peck at that, but mine are fine on whatever they have,

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 20:08 »
Mine love all kinds of berries, grapes, rasins etc...but like others have said, not too many, its not good for them :lol:

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 20:18 »
Nothing wasted in our household either ;) either the dogs or the chooks have our leftovers, veg wise.
And sometimes a little bit of cheese,they love it. :wacko:
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

xx
How do I feed the chickens their scraps?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 09:09
by joyfull
xx
why is it illegal to feed chickens food scraps?

Started by utigers on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 05, 2012, 12:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
scraps for chickens

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 23:18
by muntjac
xx
Legality of Feeding Kitchen Scraps to your chickens

Started by BOM on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 18:31
by redmolly

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 29 queries.