making a growing box

• 1 Replies

rowlandwells

making a growing box
« on: August 14, 2019, 16:39 »
i said to the wife the other day why don't we grow our own petunia's instead of buying in she said we hadn't had very good results from growing our own this year so I looked into growing petunia a bit deeper where we mite be going wrong

and I was told petunia needs  good bottom heat and plenty of light to get good germination so I thought it mite be a good idea to make a grow box got the gist of how to make it when I went on line so I've decided to make one using heat cables in sand with a florescent light installed in the roof of the box no quite sure if I should line the box with aluminium foil for heat or poly sheeting painted white for maximum light?

anyway its going to be suck it and see either it works or continue to buy our petunia's in  :unsure:

jezza

Re: making a growing box
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:22 »
Hello I used to make them at the nursery I worked at our method was old but worked  we made a bed 40feet×6feet  6inches deep lined with polythene then 2 inches of sand ,laid heating cables on the sand fixing onto the sides 2inches between cables at the propagating end first 10 foot then widened them out to 3 5 7 inches along the length the wider ones just to keep them warm on a night you need a rod thermostat and a cover ours  was made from a Melbourne cloche at the propagation end and a wooden frame with polythene running out to fleece or as it was called then plant geo-textile   jezza

xx
Making Cloches

Started by DadBear on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 19:23
by The Thin Blue Line
xx
making a pond

Started by Annen on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 00:38
by Annen
xx
Making your own Cloches

Started by nwalch on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 11:55
by DD.
xx
making a fence

Started by dorset on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 17:33
by milkman

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.