Ex Bat not feathering up

• 4 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Ex Bat not feathering up
« on: March 19, 2010, 16:19 »
Hi,
we got our ex bats in August and 2 of them are feathering up really well.
One however is still looking very straggly. Her wing feathers still havent returned completely and her flanks and shoulder blades are patchy with slightly matted/stunted looking downy feathers.

She seems fine in every other respect. Very lively, hungry, top of the pecking order and a regular layer.

I wondered if there is anything else I can do to encourage better feather growth?

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Ex Bat not feathering up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 17:31 »
We got 4 ex-batts about a year ago and one of them never really feathered up as much as the others.  She always had a lot of white down feathers but didn't grow back some underneath her nor all of her main wing feathers.

I can't recommend anything for promoting growth but if you're worried about her getting cold you can get a 'clux-tux' which is a woolie coat to keep her warm.  Being spring it's probably not neccessary now though.

Worth making sure she's not having her feathers pecked too?

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 17:37 »
OMG - just googled Chux-Tux - love it!!!!!!   I don't think she's cold, just looks a bit scraggly!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 18:58 »
Dont worry, it will come :D As long as she is gettng mostly a good quality layers pellet, she is getting everything she needs. one of my really scraggy ones didnt get feathers till she stopped laying :blush:. As long as she is happy and healthy.....Thats all that matters :)

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 19:52 »
One out of my 8 took 18 months to feather up.  You can's tell which one now.  If you want to you can give a little extra protein (cat food) to her, but a good layer pellet and grit should have everything. 

xx
When do boys grow their full adult feathering?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 18:26
by Casey76

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.