How long can I leave chilli plants without watering

• 9 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Going to be on holiday for one week.  I have about 10 chilli plants at various sizes.  I don't seem to be watering them very often at present and I have read they don't need a lot of water.  Do you think they could be left for a week if they were not in direct sun, they are in the house.  I have a  large tray with a mat which you can fill with water.   If I left them standing inn the tray of water could they drink too much or will they just drink what they need.   

Dai

• Experienced Member
Re: How long can I leave chilli plants without watering
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 22:46 »
Ive only been growing chillis since late last year and i forgot to water mine for a week on occasion so i would have thought they would be fine.
not sure if it can be bad to leave them in water though, I guess you could get root rot?
Maby you could give them a good watering before you go and then cover the soil with something that would keep the moisture in like vermiculite or something similar?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15 »
The should be fine for a week if you give them a good soak before you go

Alternatively, you can stand them on the capillary matting on the draining board and drape the end if it into water in the sink

Make sure they have enough light though or you will find them with a 'lean' when you come back  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11 »
My chillies are now in one of those troughs with a water reservoir at the bottom which you can fill through a tube just above the compost level, but I previously grew them in a plain trough and they were always fine after a week if given a good watering beforehand (I sometimes forget to water them anyway and the compost gets bone dry but they don't seem to mind.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 16:23 »
I have done this before by completely soaking a bath-towel in water and standing the pots on it like a capillary mat. Put the towel on a plant tray or square wash bowl to prevent it leaking water everywhere.

Drives the OH mad, but the plants like it!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 18:35 »

Alternatively, you can stand them on the capillary matting on the draining board and drape the end if it into water in the sink

Make sure they have enough light though or you will find them with a 'lean' when you come back  :nowink:

I had a problem with a kitchen full of tiny flies after using capilliary matting as a couple of pots of seedling 'damped off'.
Just a warning - it probably works fine for others! :D

Totty

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 21:42 »
They seem to thrive in neglect. Give em a really good soak before you go and they will be A Ok.

Totty

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 21:44 »

I had a problem with a kitchen full of tiny flies after using capilliary matting as a couple of pots of seedling 'damped off'.
Just a warning - it probably works fine for others! :D

Planted my stuff that had been sat on matting and was horrified to find that it had all gone mouldy so it is now in the bin.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32 »
Last year I left my chillie plants for a week without watering more than once and they were ok. I guess if we have a really hot week the might suffer but with some of the weather we have had recently you could leave toms a week and they might survive :D

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 22:53 »
put the pots into shallow trays and leave then soaking. i've had a problem with mine drying out and this seems to be working ok. just fill the tray as much as you can before you go, it'll take at least 3-4 days for them to use that water. i'd rather leave them wet for a week than too dry.

xx
How long do chilli plants live

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 16:31
by JayG
xx
how long can I leave my 'taters?

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 17:52
by Yorkie
xx
How long can I leave peas

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2016, 17:05
by Salmo
xx
Spuds....how long to leave.

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 13:25
by arugula

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 31 queries.