laying 2 eggs after each other one with shell one without - advice please :-(

• 9 Replies

barnowl28

Hi I have had my 2 girls for about 10 weeks now they are hy-liners? and started laying straight away they were about 20 weeks when i bought them. Penny lays fine some days but has on 3 occasions now laid one really thin shelled egg and then about 5 mins later an egg which either has no shell - its just a runny egg - or it has a thin membrane/squidgy shell around it. Its perfectly good to use but just not shelled in!?? Is this egg drop that i have read about and is there anything i can do to stop it??

Today she is off colour and had laid the shelled egg on the deck and a shell less egg also on the deck. She does not lay these eggs in the hen house. The one with the shell looks like it has rings around if as if it had been left in water which has evaporated away and left a mark.

She is fluffed up and standing on her own in the rain with her eyes shut today and looks very sad. Any suggestions what i should do??

sorry this is long......   :(

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Hello barnowl - I know how you feel and I think so do most members of the site! The eggs are passing through too quickly and one is not staying in the shell part of their system for long enough - they are often called soft shelled eggs.
Have you got a supply of grit for them? What do you feed them?
These blips are quite common and usually settle down but I am sure a more experienced member can add their advice in case it is a sign of some other problem. Good luck, Sue

Jeanette

Do your girls have a free suppy of oyster shell. They need that as well as grit because grit helps to digest the food as chickens don' have teeth and the oyster shell will help with hardening the shell. You can also bake the egg shell in a hot oven for a shrt time then crush them up small and feed back to the girls.
When chickens lay a soft shelled egg it can take it out if them for a while so that could make her off colour.

barnowl28

Hi

Yes i sprinkle baked egg shells round the garden and mix it in with the grit they have.

Its weird as usually the next day her egg is fine and a lovely dark brown colour with a much harder shell.

I was wondering if it was a stress thing as she the more nervous of my two girls?

barnowl28

Hi

I feed my girls on layers pellets and they have grit available to them. They roam around in my garden all day too so find bits for themselves and my kids give them a treat of corn in the afternoons.

I took Penny to the vet this morning as she was still not right and looked so sad.

The vet said her temperature was 46.7 and was surprised it was so high (I don't know what is normal for a chicken? and didn't think to ask!)

We now have some antibiotics to give her. The vet suggested the weird egg thing was maybe connected to a bronchitus condition but said Penny looked a very healthy hen apart from being hot!

so who knows? Hopefully she will be better in a day or so with medicine and some TLC and at least the sun is shining today.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Oh poor penny keep us posted on how she goes
Hope everything goes well and she back on top form soon  :) :)

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

barnowl28

Sadly penny died on saturday :( the anitbiotics did pick her up but once they ran out she was not right still and died overnight. She had trebled in size too so i think had an internal infection of some sort - we are a bit sad :(

Thanks for everyone advice though

tesni

• Experienced Member
 :( so sorry to hear of your upsetting time, but you gave her the best chance

Flowerpower136

Oh, that's sad.  They are such a worry when they start doing strange eggy things.  Sorry she couldn't be saved.

Jeanette

I am so sorry that you have lost Sally. :(

xx
Hen laying soft shell eggs

Started by prideparkpaddy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 21:12
by prideparkpaddy
xx
Chicken laying eggs with no shell

Started by Greeny31 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 22:00
by joyfull
xx
Shell-less Eggs and Laying in the Wrong Place

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 10:41
by Pony Girl
xx
Chicken laying soft shell eggs

Started by ChickenBox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 17:19
by funkychook

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.