Should I have a Cockerel ?

• 4 Replies

Blobbs

Should I have a Cockerel ?
« on: August 07, 2012, 15:22 »
I have 8 hens and fancy finding them a husband. Will it make them broody ? What would be the benefit / negatives of having one.  OH isn't too keen but I think it's a man thing !! Your experience is so helpful to me. Thankyou.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Should I have a Cockerel ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 15:42 »
First of all do you want to breed with your hens?
Secondly if the answer to the above is yes then what would you do with any cockerels that hatch (and believe me at least 50% of the chicks will be boys)?
Thirdly - do you have neighbours? You have no legal right to keeping cockerels unlike hens. Remember cockerels can start crowing as early as 03.30 and keep going all day long - you may find it lovely but anybody who needs their sleep and live within half a mile of you may not.

Having a cockerel often helps keep order with hens but they can also have favourites and keep treading the same submissive hen wearing away at her feathers or even digging his spurs into her tearing her flesh. If this is the case you can get poultry saddles for her to wear. Having a cockerel does not make them any more broody, some hens are naturally prone to broodiness.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 17:12 »
I got a cockerel when I got my first five girls.  I dont want to breed them and I am lucky that I live way up in the hills and the few neighbours I have also keep hens & cockerels. Sometimes if one crows it sets off a chain reaction and you can hear the others in the distance.  I find mine really looks after the girls He is always on the lookout and I know it sounds daft  but they respond to different noises he makes (mine free range) as in when he finds a source of worms etc. and they all come running over.  He is quite good natured and always lets them have the food. Even when I give them apple they sometimes take it from his mouth and he is not bothered. If I pick a girl up for any reason, or take it in the shed,  he waits outside  and always runs up to them when I put them down. He also 'dances'  round them when he is 'in the mood' and lately (see post)  has started nesting with them.  Its all just great to watch. :wacko:

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 19:09 »
Agree with everything said. He sounds as though he is quite a placid lad, Prod. If they have a tendency to be agressive they can stop you checking the girls as they round them up and take them away from you. You also need to be aware that you may get a very agressive bird that may attack you. I have been unlucky and had two aggressive cocks and had to have them culled. As my chooks jump on me and let me fuss them I don't think it was the way I treated them :) :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Blobbs

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50 »
Thankyou Everyone.
I think I'll just stick to the girls as I don't really want to breed and don't like the idea of the girls getting sore if he's a bit keen. Also i don't fancy risking an agressive one . I've just remebered that a friend of mine has one attack her little boys face with its claws. That cock didn't see sunset that day!!!
I guess it's just me being broody !!!

xx
Cockerel

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:52
by Honeysuckle
xx
Cockerel or not?!

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 18:49
by joyfull
xx
cockerel?

Started by foxi loxi on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 14:36
by foxi loxi
xx
Little Cockerel

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 14:57
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 36 queries.