Eggs on brassicas

• 4 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Eggs on brassicas
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:47 »
Hi

Can anyone help?

We were down at the plot yesterday and found eggs on the underside of some of the brassica leaves - all four varieties, cauli, broc, cabbage and brussels.

The eggs very small and were a creamy white colour and nearly all of the eggs had a fly on top of them - the fly did not move when the leaf was disturbed so it got squashed along with the eggs - sorry no photo.

The plants are only small at the mo - when would the cabbage white lay eggs?

Can anyone help - I need to keep a close eye on them I guess.

Thanks

willnbirdie

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
Eggs on brassicas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 19:33 »
i would think almost certainly cabbage white butterfly eggs rub them off quick before you get millions of caterpillars and no brassicas left
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

gobs

Eggs on brassicas
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 20:51 »
Most of the season really. :shock:

Just a word of caution for finding such things on any odd plant, ladybird eggs happen to be a rather similar description.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

Eggs on brassicas
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 21:04 »
Odd about the fly, as they are most likely cabbage white, but imho whatever laid the eggs, put them there so that the babies hatch out on their food source, namely your brassicas!

Edit: As far as I can tell, never having seen ladybird eggs 'live', they are a much deeper yellow.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Eggs on brassicas
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 22:33 »
Hi

Thanks for the replies - there is netting on the plants now - I have to admit there wasn't for a couple of days stilly us thought they were too small yet to be of any interest to the cabbage white.

Anyhow - off to the plot tomorrow to inspect each and every brassica with the proverbial fine toothed comb - looked at a few today so if they have eggs on them it's something that can get through fairly fine netting - no way a cabbage white could fit through - all edges are touching the soil held down with bricks.

Eh it's not straight forward this growing lark.   :lol:

willnbirdie

sad
Brassicas

Started by cmf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 20:21
by Grasshopper
xx
Brassicas

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 23:31
by al78
clip
My brassicas

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2017, 14:59
by arh
xx
Brassicas

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 16:20
by gobs

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 38 queries.