Tomato blight two years running.

• 14 Replies

Filament

« on: August 15, 2008, 14:09 »
Right thats it. I'm definately growing blight resistant ones next year. Chances are we will get a lot of rain again next summer and I suspect this along with the warm weather is what is to blame. I have 52 plants and I hate to see them go like this.

I have now had blight in my toms for two years running. The toms are very slow to develop this year and are still small and green. The stems and leaves are beginning to get black patches and it is spreading. Shall I pick the small green toms and hope they go red on my windowsill or shall I leave them on the plants and hope they will be OK?

Garden Pearl seem to resist a bit better than the rest though. I have gardeners delight, sweet million, ildi, cream sausage, tigerella and garden pearl. All of which are showing signs of blight except garden pearl.

I hope everyone else is doing better.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 15:14 »
I'm sad to say that mine are blighty too... also for the second year running  :cry: I've just acquired a tiny greenhouse (5 x 6ft) so may try growing a few plants in there next year in desparation.

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 15:16 »
had to completely give up on outdoor toms in the garden because of the blight a couple of years ago  :evil:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 19:47 »
What types are you growing?  i have so many ripe toms in berkshire that i am struggling to make sauces quick enough!!!! they started ripening, outside, at end of june and have SO many more to come.  i am suprised to hear that many people are complaining of late harvests?  (although my indoor toms are not too good this year....wierd!!!).

I would love to think that its that its because i am so good at growing stuff....but that would just be such a lie :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yummy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 23:47 »
Same here. Blight two years running.

Ours are still tiny and green. Was wondering the same... whether to pick or not...?

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:44 »
It's probably best to start growing them under cover. I did'nt bother putting any outside this year because of blight.

Filament

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:34 »
Quote from: "goose"
What types are you growing?  i have so many ripe toms in berkshire that i am struggling to make sauces quick enough!!!! they started ripening, outside, at end of june and have SO many more to come.  i am suprised to hear that many people are complaining of late harvests?  (although my indoor toms are not too good this year....wierd!!!).

I would love to think that its that its because i am so good at growing stuff....but that would just be such a lie :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You have had better weather than us here in the south west. Weve had nothing but rain, rain and more rain. A bit of sunshine wouldn't go a miss. It's effecting everything. Had blight in potatoes a few weeks ago, but dug them up and they were fine cos we caught it early enough.

I'm going to pick all my green toms today and put them on the windowsill and hope they ripen. Cos they are slowly getting diseased with blight the longer I leave them on the plants. All that time and effort growing them seems to be such a waste.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:08 »
I've been ravaged again too. --- Even after I've sprayed with dithane.

Badly hit are the Sub-Arctic Plenty, super roma and Glacier

But the Tumbler,garden pearl, roma VF, sun gold and sun baby seem to holding up after a spraying and  constantly removing infected leaves.

The Legend and Ferline (blight resistant) have done better but I've still sprayed them and had to remove several infected leaves. Between 6 plants they have also only produced 4 Toms - none are yet ripe so I can't tell you what they taste like. Not sure they'll be worth the hassle.

Indoor growing seems to be the only way to go.

.... i am struggling to make sauces quick enough!!!!

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: You can go off people you know.  :D

camster_factor

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 19:37 »
I've been wondering for a while why many of my outdoor tomatoes have been developing scarring/lesions of sorts and some of the leaves have been turning black/brown in places. The leaves on a number of the plants look the same as the tomato leaves in the image on the following Web page:

http://www.faculty.virginia.edu/evolutionlabs/Speciation_Lab_One.html

thus I'm thinking it might be blight, but the thing is, I'd read that blight destroys the plant rapidly whereas in my case the 'damage' has been there for weeks and the tomatoes are still ripening and taste fine.

I'm not eating the skin though!

I'll take some photos and ask back here if it is blight or just general scabbiness, which I never minded in fruit and veg, as long as it tastes decent.

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 21:04 »
Quote from: "camster_factor"
I'd read that blight destroys the plant rapidly whereas in my case the 'damage' has been there for weeks and the tomatoes are still ripening and taste fine.

Hi camster_factor, guess I'm not that far from you and I'm seeing exactly the same symptoms. I'm also wondering if this is really blight, or just general mankiness because of the poor weather. Had the same last year, whereas in 2006 (when we had a much drier summer) I had a great crop until Sept, when the entire outdoor tomato crop was wiped out over a weekend.
Martin

camster_factor

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 21:22 »
In that case, if your crop was wiped out over a weekend, then I assume it's not blight on mine as the fruit have been rough looking from early on in their development and that's several weeks at this stage. I've grown far far more than I can get through though and all the ones in the greenhouse are in perfect form, so I shan't worry unduly but will keep my fingers crossed!

gobs

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 21:37 »
Tomatoes stand upto blight better and longer, often they are a source of infection to pots. Also often, not much to see on them, fruit seems spotless and rots in store/after harvest.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Filament

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 09:50 »
Just to update, I went to harvest/salvage what I could from my  toms, just to find that every single green tomato had evidence of blight on them. Little raised blisters with a brown rot in them. The stems and leaves had black rot with a mass of grey spores. This has happened gradually over the last 3 weeks. Initially I thought it was just drying leaves due to lack of goodness from all the rain washing the nutients from the compost, but it gradually got worse. Eventually towards the end of last week I new it was blight and over the weekend it has got much worse.

I thought I could save some of my green toms and ripen them on the windowsill, but not one was worth saving. So that is 52 tomato plants gone to the incinerator. I am gutted. I'm getting all new clean plasic pots next year and growing ferline, fantasio and other blight resistant toms in the greenhouse.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 14:51 »
Sorry to hear your news, but take heart my greenhouse grown blight resistant tomatoes have all started to show signs of blight for the second year running.

I hate using chemicals, but the only person on our site with a decent crop and no blight has sprayed them!

No more tomato soup this year again!

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

cray0752

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 15:08 »
it is only my first year of growing vegetables as always before i have only grown flowers.

but my tomatoes don't seem to have blight but saying that i didn't know that tomatoes got blight amazing what you learn looking about on the internet.

xx
Growing sweetcorn in the same spot 2 years running

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2022, 15:08
by mumofstig
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
clip
Have I been hit by tomato blight?

Started by Hobovore on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2019, 10:20
by JayG
xx
Tomato Blight ?

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 17:16
by pumpkinpatch

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.