Layers Pellets

• 20 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Layers Pellets
« on: November 20, 2010, 17:08 »
Hi there

I've just been reading the post regarding the price of layers pellets and it has made me think about the brand we buy.  Unfortunately the bag has been damaged so can't make out the brand but I pay £10 for a 25g bag.  Its not really the price that is worrying me but rather the quality.  Can any one tell me what good quality layers pellets should contain or what brand to buy.

Kind Regards
Beth

oborne27

Re: Layers Pellets
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 18:11 »
personally, I would avoid any unbranded ones or any that are own brand.
I use 'marriages' at the moment but have used the small ho;lder range. no problems with either but thats my personal experience.
its just one of those things that if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. best way is to find a make that you like (AND YOUR CHOOKS LIKE!) and stick to it.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 20:31 »
yes, totally agree with that.  I'm on my third type of layers pellets-you just have to find the type they like, which can take a little while, but you will get there in the end!!
CC x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

uktitan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 21:52 »
We use Garvo Feed, We have tried Every brand we could find Hehe., trying to find whats best for our girls and after being told about garvo and trying it, i must say, we Wont go back to anything else..A breeder Who we got one of our Girls from uses it from day old onwards and his orpington at 12 weeks are the same size as ours at 18weeks...Pitty we hadn't Learned about Garvo Sooner hehe...Oh well, you live and learn :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 21:53 by uktitan »
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 13:58 »
I have tried different brands including Garvo, although the hens did not seem to eat as much  whilst on Garvo there was (in my opinion) no difference in egg quality. Garvo was £ 8.50 for 20 kilos, but I had to travel about 25 miles to get it.   At present I am feeding them on unbranded pellets bought from the allotment shop for £6.50 for 25 kilos, the hens seem to like it. :)
Geoff.

bluemaran

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 19:20 »
This is a label from layers pellets i am using from wrekin farmers.it shows what its made from and my chucks are lovin them,and for the time of year are still laying well.I use them also because they are locally made.(hope you get the atttachement)
label.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 19:34 »
I see this has gm modified stuff in it - I always try to buy non gm for myself and my chickens, but each to his/her own choices..
Staffies are softer than you think.

bluemaran

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 20:02 »
dont seem to do them any harm.They all have shiny silky feathers and love to run around the veg patch raiding the greens.(organic)

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 14:49 »
don't know what the fuss is about with g.m the pellets i've just brought have g.m in it and they cost me £7.10p 25kg :)

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 15:15 »
don't know what the fuss is about with g.m the pellets i've just brought have g.m in it and they cost me £7.10p 25kg :)

Me too...my 3 legged and 2 headed Chicken called Janus is doing very well on them... 8)

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 17:51 »
The concern with genetically modified crops (including those from which layers pellets are made) is that over time they will potentially alter the genetic make up of other plants. This is an unintended consequence of growing gm crops but inevitable as plants which are growing in proximity will be cross-fertilised. No one knows in any detail or for certain what the long-term consequences of this might be. Research done is not definitive.
IMO the traditional, albeit slower method of selection is a better route to crop improvements, so that unintended consequences can be carefully monitored and reversed if necessary before they are too advanced eg gm crops that will no longer host a type of insect which is critical for wild bird survival. That's why I try to avoid buying gm food  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 17:54 »
couldn't have put it better myself henarmoured  :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 17:54 »
So not a consequence to the hen that eats it then :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 18:06 »
So not a consequence to the hen that eats it then :)

Who knows? New genetic modifications have never been artifically and rapidly introduced into the food chain before.

bluemaran

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 19:26 »
I fed mine milk the other day,went to collect the eggs and found 3 yorkshire puddings in the nest!

xx
Layers pellets HELP!!!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 21:53
by WR1
xx
layers pellets

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
xx
layers pellets, which ones

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 09:08
by danmegal
xx
Age for layers pellets

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 39 queries.