layers pellets

• 9 Replies

TINTIN

layers pellets
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:15 »
Getting my first chooks on Sunday, i have done a lot of reading on this site so i think i am well prepared but i do have one question:
If my feeder as sited in the pen during the day and it rains is this going to ruin the pellets or should it be sited in the house?

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:35 »
Hi, the rain makes the pellets go all mushy, but ours still enjoy them!
Sue

poultrygeist

layers pellets
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 15:34 »
Hi tintin. For most feeders you can buy rainhats, a wide brimmed cover for outdoor use, or make a small shelter to put over it.

Our feeder is hung underneath the coop and keeps completely dry.

Rob 8)

TINTIN

layers pellets
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 17:40 »
Thanks guys i think i might knock up some sort of shelter in the run for it to go under

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
layers pellets
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 17:43 »
I have a couple of old wooden cases, nice and heavy and solid. Laid on their sides with the feeding troughs inside.  Just the job.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Foxy

layers pellets
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 19:02 »
hi TINTIN what chooks are you getting? :D If you hadn't noticed we are a nosy bunch!

pushrod

layers pellets
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 19:41 »
your feeder (if it is outside)needs a "hat" or cover if the pellets get wet they won't flow and will go mouldy. It would be best if it was hanging as well, otherwise rats and mice will feed from it at night.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

compostqueen

layers pellets
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 21:14 »
I take the food indoors at night when the girls are locked up for the night. Kept dry in a tight-lidded dustbin in my outhouse.  During the day it hangs in the covered run

TINTIN

layers pellets
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:52 »
we are getting 3 ambers from a local supplier,apparently they are very placid which will be good for us first timers

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
mess!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 21:38 »
Hi we have 4 amberlinks all are lovely they run too you, follow you and even know how to behave (well mostly!).

I would strongly recommend a grill to stop them clawing the food out we swap in the afternoon to mixed corn so have two feeders. You can save money on buying/re-using an old bucket for water they keep it cleaner this way. It did not freeze over and you can always change the water esp in hat weather (possibly wants to be under cover or at least in the shade to prevent bacteria.

Now for the feeders I have not yet made one but how about getting an old oil drum (not sure what the litre capiticy would be) as sold in one of the main supermarkts (T-CO) or perhaps a chinese, yes it would take a long time to use possibly decant? I'm going to contact local fast food outlets and see if they would let me have one or two.

You need to cut the top off one and drill holes in the bottom. You also need to drill largeish holes; around the side of the open end (this is where the chickens can peck the food out). You need a larger drum about 1" tall to make a tray. You also need to drill a hole in the bottom of the tray.

Next tread galvanised wire through the larger shorter drum the taller drum. then thread the wire through the taller, thiner drum.

Fill with food twist wire and if you have something to hang it from it will help deter rodents.

You could always make a rain hat out of the other end of the larger oil drum drill a hole and pop he it on the top.

However all said my ladies love their pellets wet and go nuts for worms!

Good luck

xx
Age for layers pellets

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by puddin1107 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:56
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 35 queries.