My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

• 2 Replies

becksi

My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:21 »
I have posted this on another forum too, so members of both i do appologise in advance.

I have my first broody and she is doing all the classic signs that i have read about, quite aggressive and very loud to me and the other chooks, its been just over a weeks now.

I done a fare bit of reading about whats best for her, so I got a hutch and converted it for her as it was the cheapest way for me, she is now in it on her own away from the others in a section off part of the area they all once shared, she has 3 unfertile eggs under her that came from the other hens as a tester to see if she is ready for some fertile ones, which i think she is.

She has to be coaxed off the eggs in the morning and evening to feed, drink, poo etc but she wont do it in the sectioned off part she runs up and down the plastic fence trying to get in with the others, so i put her in there and she eats drinks, poo's and has a dust bath etc then when i think she has had enough about 10-15 mins i put her back in the broody coop, she goes back on the eggs and sits.

I have 6 fertile eggs that i purchased from a local small holding and they would have been sitting for 24 hours at 4pm today, i have turned them once last night and again this morning, i was going to put them under her, well swap them over when she comes out this evening for her leg stretch etc, would you say thats ok?

Also when/if any do hatch do i need to keep them inside the coop until a certain age, putting their chick crumb & water in there too?
If so what age can they have access to the small run i have for them?

Many thanks.

Vember

Re: My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54 »
Hi Becksi

If it were me I would swap the eggs whilst she's sitting and one at a time :)
That way the cold ones will be less obvious to her :)

I have a run attached to the broody house, mum fetches the chicks out when shes's ready day 2 normally :)
Chick crumb and a shallow water dish with pebbles in to save any drowning can be put in the house or run once they are up on their feet :D

Sarah :)

becksi

Re: My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 00:00 »
I have a nice run ready for them and i made a little ladder/ramp thing as the coop is about 1.5 inches off the ground so they can get in and out when they are ready.

Looking forward to the coming hatching time  :)

question
My first time with a broody hen - what should i do?

Started by crem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 22:08
by pheobe1
xx
First time Broody ( HELP )

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 22:48
by TeaPots
exclamation
Broody at this time!!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 16:02
by jinty1911
xx
Broody resting time

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 22:24
by slowef

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 38 queries.