Grass at my allotment

• 4 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Grass at my allotment
« on: December 29, 2018, 13:26 »
Hello everyone
Wishing you all a Happy New Year
Part of my allotment is covered with grass. I have dug it out a couple of times but it keeps on growing back. I have not used any chemicals as I am trying to grow organic produce.
What to do please ?
Thanks
Simbamara

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Re: Grass at my allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 14:00 »
Hi. Do you know if it’s couch grass? It has a mass of whitish long roots. If it’s that, unfortunately it will grow from even a small piece of root left behind. The usual solution is to keep digging it out and you will have less and less each time ( but unlikely to get rid of it completely). Have you also looked at ‘no dig’ methods on Charles Dowding website? That’s meant to kill off grasses without needing weed killer or digging.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 14:10 »
Hi. Do you know if it’s couch grass? It has a mass of whitish long roots. If it’s that, unfortunately it will grow from even a small piece of root left behind. The usual solution is to keep digging it out and you will have less and less each time ( but unlikely to get rid of it completely). Have you also looked at ‘no dig’ methods on Charles Dowding website? That’s meant to kill off grasses without needing weed killer or digging.

Yes with perseverance you can get rid of couch grass by no dig. Apply a few layers of thick cardboard, taking care to overlap the edges as this is to exclude the light,( plants get their energy from light. Then apply a mulch as thick as you can muster . In this country composted manure or garden waste is advised to help minimise slug habitat. Then as you see any grass regrowth either hoe it of or trowel it out if it’s a big clump. You can also cover with a light surpressing membraneover the top of the mulch if the grass is really bad, you could then plant through that for larger plants ie squashes,brassicas. Either keep it covered for a good year & you will have succeeded in killing all but the most persistent pieces if it is couch grass & they will be the bits that have managed to photosynthesised from getting to the light
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 16:45 »
Thank you Potterer & Snowdrop
It seems to be couch grass
Just making sure i understood it well , put a layer of cardboard boxes ( or black cloth would do also??) , then a layer of mulch , like Council compost on top ??
Thanks
Simba

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 17:14 »
Flattened cardboard boxes followed by well rotted mulch. You don’t want any fabric of any sort underneath the mulch otherwise plant roots won’t get through & you’ll do yourself a mischief trying to dig it out.
If you want to you could put either black plastic or membrane on the very top. Plastic will stop light & water getting through which is not ideal but membrane will let water through but not light. To cut the expense you can do away with the membrane & plastic & just hoe religiously, depends on scale of ground & how much time you have really. Look at Charles Dowdings website & John on here has posted a diary entry about no dig.

xx
Trimming grass on allotment

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 01:52
by Paul Plots
xx
Can I rotavate grass into the soil on my allotment?

Started by km76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:11
by DD.
xx
New Allotment plot that's covered in weed and grass.

Started by paul_holmes on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 09:58
by wellingtons
clip
My First Allotment is All Grass ... What advice can you give to get me started?

Started by soniaTSC on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 24, 2021, 20:25
by madcat

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 39 queries.