Beer Making Kits

• 15 Replies

NoodleSoup

Beer Making Kits
« on: May 12, 2009, 14:25 »
My partner has decided he wants to brew his own beer so I have been tasked with finding him a beer making kit for his birthday -  there are so many kits out there I have no idea what to choose  :(. Can anyone recommend me a decent kit for a total novice? I'm happy to pay up to about £100 and I'm looking for something with everything a beginner would need included in it. There's so much choice in this range I don't know if there's kits I should avoid etc or whether the kits I'm looking at include everything he'll need to get started or not.

TIA :)

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Re: Beer Making Kits
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 21:23 »
I would recommend that you visit your local home brew shop. You will find that they are run by nice friendly people who know their stuff and will be able to point you to the right kit.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

Harry Flashman VC

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 22:34 »
Take a trip to Wilkos if you live near one they have a starter kit for about £20.00 other than that you need a Fermentation Bucket, Hydrometer, Syphen, plenty of bottles a crown capper or buy a pressure keg and don't forget to but steraliser  Or go to the site banner thats advertised at the top of the page that'll give you some idea what you need.

Good Luck

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57 »
yep agree there. Wilkos.... don't buy all in one kits.

NoodleSoup

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:14 »
Or go to the site banner thats advertised at the top of the page that'll give you some idea what you need.

I did have a look there but couldn't decide what to buy. I think I might go for a Woodfordes kit. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Harry Flashman VC

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36 »
The Woodfords Wherry is a good kit for a starter its a 2 can kit you don't need any extra sugar.

Penfold

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 22:03 »
.....plenty of bottles a crown capper or buy a pressure keg and don't forget to but steraliser..... 

I'd also recommend the pressure barrel/keg over bottles, whilst it won't slow down your consumption of the end product it does seem to keep the beer fresher.  It's also alot easier than cleaning loads of bottles.

Also some home brew shops happen to sell the ingredients and a water distiller that results in a 40% mix.... anyone tried it? :unsure:

NoodleSoup

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 18:16 »
Or go to the site banner thats advertised at the top of the page that'll give you some idea what you need.

I just wanted to say that I personally will not be ordering from the people in the banner above again. I ordered quite a large amount of stuff for my partner's birthday in good time and I've just been informed it won't be turning up on time. They took payment on the day I ordered and still haven't dispatched anything to me - I personally feel it's poor form to take payment for something which isn't in stock. Every other retail site I have used in the past will only take payment once they have the goods in stock and are about to dispatch them.

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48 »
I am on my 2nd ready mix cider kit. Thet are OK. taste is a bit like an own label cider, They do clear in the bottles but it means pouring has to be careful otherwise you disturb the base and it can make it a bit yeasty.
Not as fizzy as shop stuff although if you time it right with bottling you can still get some fizz.

After initial outlay of bins etc the Youngs 20 litre kit works out at 60p (ish) a litre if you stray towards the strong cider (which packs quite a kick 7-10% or more)

Recommended to get you started.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

Knoblauch

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 13:24 »
Take a trip to Wilkos if you live near one they have a starter kit for about £20.00 other than that you need a Fermentation Bucket, Hydrometer, Syphen, plenty of bottles a crown capper or buy a pressure keg and don't forget to but steraliser  Or go to the site banner thats advertised at the top of the page that'll give you some idea what you need.

... The Woodfords Wherry is a good kit for a starter its a 2 can kit you don't need any extra sugar ...

Good Luck

You can't better this advice - I made my first brew of this kit recently (the bitter) and it's just as good as real ale once it's matured a few weeks.

Don't buy the beer bottles though - you can surely collect them somehow?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 13:25 by Knoblauch »

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 13:31 »
yep do not buy beer bottles... I got about 100 buy just asking about and using freecycle.

NoodleSoup

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 17:31 »

I just wanted to say that I personally will not be ordering from the people in the banner above again. I ordered quite a large amount of stuff for my partner's birthday in good time and I've just been informed it won't be turning up on time. They took payment on the day I ordered and still haven't dispatched anything to me - I personally feel it's poor form to take payment for something which isn't in stock. Every other retail site I have used in the past will only take payment once they have the goods in stock and are about to dispatch them.

I just wanted to reiterate, DO NOT BUY FROM Brew-it-yourself dot co dot uk.

So I had an e-mail exchange with them as I wasn't happy that the product said "in stock" when it clearly wasn't and they admitted that they would be unable to send me the product in time for my partner's birthday. So I chose a different product which clearly said "in stock". Now, a week later, they have emailed me to say "Sorry, we haven't got this in stock and we won't be getting it in for at least another week. In fact we can't guarantee when we'll be getting this product", by which time it will be past my partner's birthday.

As I said previously, I am fuming that they have already taken payment (which is for a substantial amount) for something which they can't deliver and are unable to tell me when they will be getting the products in stock again. I am also irritated that both products clearly said "in stock" on their website, yet a week later they email you to tell you that actually, they didn't have the products in stock after all

I can't find a brewing shop near me so I'm now stuck like a muppet, empty-handed on my partner's birthday and a whole load of money out of pocket.

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 22:32 »
My order was dispatched within 24 hours off ebay. I am very happy with their service.

I also get a constant stream of useful emails from hem about seasonal free brews   and yes  they advertise equipment and supplements that are of a use with them.  It's a business.

It is always a good idea to describe any experiences you have with a supplier rather than categorically teying to influence people into buying habits.

It is mor than likely the case that Noodlesoup has had a seriously bad shopping experience  and I do sympathise but to discredit a site sponsor in so profound a manner isnt conjusive to good relations in any shape or form.

NoodleSoup

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23 »
It is always a good idea to describe any experiences you have with a supplier rather than categorically teying to influence people into buying habits.

It is mor than likely the case that Noodlesoup has had a seriously bad shopping experience  and I do sympathise but to discredit a site sponsor in so profound a manner isnt conjusive to good relations in any shape or form.

You had a good experience and that's great. However the last email offers I've had from them have been for offers which have already expired.

Plus the fact in their email correspondence they lied to me - they said they had the products in stock and then a week later, they miraculously were out of stock. Maybe they only put their in-stock items on their eBay store, but their actual web store houses incorrect stock information on a number of products.

And they have already taken payment for a substantial quantity of money (over £150) and failed to deliver the product AND have said now that they have no idea when they will be able to deliver the product. I can't afford to just write £150 off for several months when I now also have to buy a replacement birthday present too, and will be empty handed on my partner's birthday. If they had told me the truth about their stock levels up front, fine, or if I hadn't have bought the presents with plenty of time to spare, fine, but they repeatedly lied about it in their correspondence with me so no, I'm not happy.

If I get good service, I'll shout about it (and usually write an e-mail or letter to the company in question saying thank you). If I get shoddy service, I'll also shout.

I run my own web businesses and there is absolutely no way I would treat my customers like this.

norfolkgrog

• thetford weather
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:57 »
Noodlesoup sorry to hear of you problems, if you paid by c/card or paypal give them a final a chance to sort the problem out if they cant ask for immediate refund and buy elsewhere wilco's are ok.

Good luck
Vern
Fermenting                               Drinking
1) white wine kit                       White wine kit
3) Strawberry                            strawberry (tinned)
4) Norfolk wherry                      Coopers real ale

http://allotmentrambles.blogspot.com/

xx
Racking beer kits twice.

Started by hayles62 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 21:55
by hayles62
xx
Sale on wine & beer kits.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 15:27
by Capt Zero
xx
Cheap Wherry beer kits

Started by syks grower on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 13:27
by stompy
xx
Wine/Beer/Cider Kits at The Range

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 19:47
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.