carrots

• 32 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: carrots
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 18:23 »
maybe we should follow the advise given by CSChris89 who seems to be having good results from his method something i think is going to worth trying for me next season

al78

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 10:11 »
Carrots should not be hit or miss.   Growing good carrots from seed requires finely raked, well-dug soil with all stones removed and following germination, weeds removed carefully without disrupting the tiny carrot plants, regular watering and covering with a fine mesh if you wish to prevent the dreaded carrot root fly from causing its traditional damage.   Carrot fly is probably endemic in many allotments and the required quality of mesh is fairly expensive, but you have to make a judgment as to whether you think it worthwhile or are willing to take a "calculated" risk.   Lidl has very cheap, reliable seed at around 20p a packet so the seed element is extremely cheap which may counter the expensive capital cost of the mesh.    Farms produce massive yields of carrots probably with the excessive use of superphosphate fertiliser.

How do you grow carrots in an no-dig system or on heavy clay?

My problem with carrots grown in the soil (not raised beds) is I don't even get seedlings. It is as if they don't germinate at all, or they get eaten immediately they sprout. I've tried digging a furrow, filling with multipuropse compost and sowing into that, same result.

This year, I scattered a couple of pinches of seeds in the greenhouse raised bed in February and I've had a good crop from mid spring to early summer. If I had sown half the bed with seeds I could have been self sufficient all year.

I'm thinking of building a small dedicated raised bed for carrots next year.

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 18:53 »
i think that's a good idea a178 we had a good crop of carrots when we  grew carrots in our raised bed a couple of years ago not had an decent  carrots since then

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 21:18 »
I decided today to have a furtle and pulled up a carrot, based on the foliage, nothing else.
The top of the carrot was very small but I went ahead anyway.
What went wrong?

IMG_20200731_205348303.jpg

Mr Dog

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 08:12 »
I decided today to have a furtle and pulled up a carrot, based on the foliage, nothing else.
The top of the carrot was very small but I went ahead anyway.
What went wrong?

I'd say just simply too early.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 08:40 »

I'd say just simply too early.

I'd say you're absolutely right.
I had a rummage in my seed tin for the packet.
It says Autumn King  :lol: :lol:
I am a dolt  :lol: :lol:
I will continue to feed them with maxicrop unless there is something else I should be doing.

Edinburgh_lad

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 13:42 »
I've found growing carrots in the ground a total disaster. However, growing in deep window boxes with stone free compost and powdered volcanic rock a different story altogether. An advantage is that you can put those containers higher up, and anyway, following Month's advice, I no longer thin my carrots.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 15:56 »
I've found growing carrots in the ground a total disaster. However, growing in deep window boxes with stone free compost and powdered volcanic rock a different story altogether. An advantage is that you can put those containers higher up, and anyway, following Month's advice, I no longer thin my carrots.

Mine are in a tub, 3rd time of sowing, others were dug up. Interesting about the volcanic rock, that's definitely something to try next year, thanks.
The foliage on mine is hanging down somewhat, should I try and tie it up. Maybe a string belt around them all?

Edinburgh_lad

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 16:36 »
Isn't it that if you start messing around with foliage, for example by inadveredly breaking it, you'll attract carrot fly?

al78

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 23:49 »
Isn't it that if you start messing around with foliage, for example by inadveredly breaking it, you'll attract carrot fly?

Yes, that can happen when you thin them.

AnneB

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 07:23 »
I'm glad i'm not the only one who's carrots haven't come up, i've sown 3 pkts  the last pkt i have a few coming
now, next year i shall give it a miss the first year was great.

I don't sow my carrots until the first week in May.  Earlier than that here in Yorkshire I find germination very patchy as the soil is not warm enough.

The little keel slugs in the soil are very partial to small carrot seedlings too, so I always put some of the ferric slug pellets down when I sow.   On our allotment carrot root fly is everywhere so enviromesh is a must.  For the same reason I never thin them either.

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 07:56 »
Here’s some of my no dig carrots I harvested the other day. Who says you can’t manure the ground for parsnips & carrots, you can no dig if you don’t dig it in. They are a pale variety, forget actually which, could be from a rainbow packet & just all the same colour, although when washed & sliced there was a variation in colour, flavour was very good. Not sure what date I sowed them probably April time
2E4090C6-388B-4FFF-A4FA-BF677992910A.jpeg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 18:14 »
so many interesting replies given me something to think about for next year thanks all RW

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 17:48 »
I have tried a new method this year, I rarely grow because of the issues and hassle however...

This year I have grown New Market and I have used a spray, yep orange peel, mint and garlic, spray the plants once a week.
So did it work?
Yep, from a complete row (20ft) only two had fly, no netting or other methods, just simply spraying once a week.
I have also sown 4 more rows (another experiment) of the same carrot to see if I can get a winter crop as the packet and other info suggests you can sow upto August, all being well plenty of carrots for winter.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 21:57 »
I have tried a new method this year, I rarely grow because of the issues and hassle however...

This year I have grown New Market and I have used a spray, yep orange peel, mint and garlic, spray the plants once a week.
So did it work?
Yep, from a complete row (20ft) only two had fly, no netting or other methods, just simply spraying once a week.
I have also sown 4 more rows (another experiment) of the same carrot to see if I can get a winter crop as the packet and other info suggests you can sow upto August, all being well plenty of carrots for winter.

Interesting...quantities, method...does it keep?
Always good to hear varying cures/prevention.
I was thinking of sowing some more in a recently acquired half barrel.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
CARROTS

Started by cotteswold on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 22:47
by compostqueen
xx
carrots

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 13:10
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 19:42
by lacewing

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 54 queries.