Rat in loft!

• 7 Replies

Auntiemogs

Rat in loft!
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:57 »
So, it's that time of year again! 

I can't say I blame it for wanting somewhere warm to live over winter, but I'd rather it considered the shed as a suitable haven.

We've just fixed the dishwasher, which stopped filling due to a cable being chewed clean through by a (now absent) mouse. Snap traps have now been strategically placed behind the kitchen kick boards, as last time they got into the loft and I had to call someone in (plus driving them a decent distance away became quite tedious).

Mr Rat now practises his line dancing into the early hours across the full length of the loft space.  He cleverly avoided the humane trap we set up there (which is somewhat of a relief, as getting up there to check it was a palava) and t's now been moved to the store cupboard, as he's discovered that he can access this via the cavity wall between the bathroom and front bedroom.

I'm trying to lull him into a false sense of security by leaving the odd nibble (apparently they really like blue cheese, and the chocolate went too - he'll be diabetic at this rate...) and I've now been forced to accept that we may not be able to catch him and have left out some 'blue pasta of doom' (no reflection on my cooking!).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

AM
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mrs bouquet

Re: Rat in loft!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 14:47 »
Yes,  leave him out a few Sprouts, that should send him running away screaming and squealing    :lol:
Seriously though, have you considered rat poison or a rat catcher, or is that a route you prefer not to use.  Good Luck,    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 15:22 »
Mice love peanut butter and chocolate nut spread, I have no idea if the same is true for rats but if it were me I'd give it a try and see.

We had mice in the garage and used The Big Cheese Ultra Power Mouse Traps and found the mouse version of non humane trap to be humane in a terminal fashion. It killed them very fast, instantly in fact. I saw one get killed and from the bodies of the others it was instantaneous. They have a rat version as well and if we had rats, I'd use them instantly.

You get 2 traps in a pack and actually have a pheromone paste in the bait area that they come armed with. Which was successful at killing 2 mice a night for 3 nights. Then one mouse. We had to move the traps and got 2 more mice over a week. They were the last.

I will add that I am terrified of getting my fingers trapped in them as I'd fully believe that the bone being broken.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 15:59 »
I use a rat catcher spring loaded trap quick and effective because once these rodents take up residence they very quickly multiply and my neighbours are not keen on rats as a new tenant

I'm not in favour of poison unless its absolutely necessary I think you will find rats are being driven in by the wet weather I've  also found fixing a chain on the trap stopes the trap being moved when activated and always use gloves when loading and to mt the trap and I always bury the carcase asap

erikaz1

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 21:20 »
One of those very bitey snap traps with a good spread of Betty Crockers' chocolate frosting. As suggested by a professional.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 21:00 »
Hello do you know any one with a terrier that could be put in the loft it'd sort your rat problem out the little border terrier next to me got 3 rats within a few seconds 2 days ago  she kills them instantly jezza

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 17:52 »
Hello do you know any one with a terrier that could be put in the loft it'd sort your rat problem out the little border terrier next to me got 3 rats within a few seconds 2 days ago  she kills them instantly jezza

Does it have to be trained?
The in Laws had a terrier and the only thing it went for was hoovers.

Spot the horrible person, one of the funniest things I've ever heard was FIL hoovering and telling the dog to "go away, go away you silly dog, STOP THAT, GO LIE DOWN flapflapflapflapflapflap". It was the dog's tongue flapping down Henry hoover's pipe. It was not a smart dog, as this happened a lot.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 22:11 »
Just heard part of this on the radio and thought this might be interesting and relevant.
During the flooding in Doncaster people were getting rat problems, also the hot summers means that we're getting rat problems, because of litter and people dropping food we're getting rat problems, because people are lax, we're getting rat problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cq7s

A lot of it was a total surprise to me, but I live within Gull's flight of Aberdeen which is the only city in the UK not to have a rat problem. We have a seagull problem instead. The local seagull's are a subspecies that are twice the size of normal so almost knee height to your average 5 foot 7 man and only up live here. Rats just aren't a problem that occurs or you hear of. You don't drop food food here and if you do, it isn't there when the rats come out as the gulls will have it away when it's a few inches from your hand. if they aren't running or flying after you screaming for it.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 37 queries.