Passing on your spare tomato plants...

• 9 Replies

DanielCoffey

Passing on your spare tomato plants...
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:35 »
I figured this was better off in here rather than Grow your Own since it isn't a growing question.

Assuming you have been sensible and sown a few extra tomato seeds, how easy do you find it to pass on the extras that you don't need when it is time for final planting out?

The situation I am in is that I want two plants myself and a couple of my neighbours have asked for a couple of plants as well. Having promised them plants in advance I of course have to sow a few extra seeds "just in case". This will (hopefully) leave me with some lovely little plants that have no official home.

I am intending to offer them up on my local Freecycle group but then thought... there are 18 seeds in the packet. Do I abandon the spares or do I plant them all anyway and try to hand them out? Apart from the final pots, it will not cost me anything. I could include a page with details of the variety and the seed saving advice. Who knows - someone may really like them and decide to grow their own next season.

I just don't want to be in the position of taking mine, handing out the ones to the neighbours and then being left with a long line of perfect young plants... destined for the compost bin!

How easy do you find it getting rid of your spares?

wapello

• Experienced Member
Re: Passing on your spare tomato plants...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:29 »
 Right you want  2, your pals want 2 each, so set up 3 x 3" pots sow three seeds in each one when
 there up 2-4" pull the smallest ones and past them on pals to grow on jobs a goodun,,,, 

OR   sow some in a tray  put a note in the window or in the front garden tomato plants for sale away you go...
Colin

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:41 »
I won't be asking any money for them so I was wondering how easy they would be to pass on on Freecycle.

A sign would not be useful I am afraid as we are pretty rural so the only folks passing our property would be the local dog walkers anyway.

I have the choice of doing just a few spares and leaving the last ten seeds or doing all of them and having the risk of having to do the Long Walk to the compost with ten perfectly healthy plants that I can't use. I know they are not pets but...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 11:51 »
I often donate spares to a local Charity shop and they get sold almost immediately. I would think they would fly away on Freecycle too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 11:54 »
Ah - a charity shop - that was something I had not considered as an alternative home for them. Almost unbelievably we don't have one in our village but the local Butcher/Baker does double as "village message board". I can go have a chat with them. If they are free anyway, they almost certainly won't say no to taking them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:57 »
Yes, most places would take something saleable they were acquiring free I am sure.

Round here we have charity shosp to spare if you need one for your village  :lol: :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 12:17 »
I agree with Sunshineband.  Charity shops are always grateful for any plants.   If you have too many tomatoes at the end of the season, I am sure they will take those as well.  Anything fresh and edible always goes out like, well   ---   hot cakes.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 12:22 »
You could donate to a local Gardening Society.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 13:23 »
Last year I ended up with around 200 tomato plants,don’t ask ! I always give friends etc plenty, I take some to sewing club,freely given out, some go to WI & I ask for a small amount of money that goes to funds, some go to the trading store at the garden club, some get given away at the allotments. But last year after all that I still had loads so I advertised them on Facebook market place & sold a load & recouped a bit of my expenses,seeds, compost etc. I was really surprised how many people bought them.
There’s also church fetes etc or even carboot sales if you wanted to go down that route
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 14:13 »
I do not mind giving tomato plants away it's the pots and compost i begrudge ! :)

Tomatoes are one of the few plants where i expect and allow for 99% germination !
They really do want to grow ! :)

xx
buying plants on line

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2024, 14:59
by mrs bouquet
xx
Buying Plants on Line. No.2.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2024, 15:47
by jezza
xx
Do plants feel any benefit?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 18:44
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Toxic to algae / slime but not to plants...??

Started by Stewarty on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2018, 12:15
by Stewarty

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 38 queries.