Can I use my own garlic to plant?

• 13 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Can I use my own garlic to plant?
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:14 »
I bought a pack from the IOW Garlic farm last year and have lots of lovely dried garlic... Can I use some of these cloves to plant in October or should I buy some new bulbs???

Thanks

pushrod

Re: Can I use my own garlic to plant?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:53 »
Yes.

Edit : to planting your own not buying some more :blush:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53 »
After planting your own grown garlic for a few season it will adapt to your soil and you can name it whatever! ie. Beejay Garlic :tongue2:
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:07 »
yep that is my plan for next year. Just ordered 2kg of porcelain garlic and will keep half and plant half next year.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 17:03 »
i brought elephanr garlic form the IOW last year..eating some  planting the rest
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:37 »
Just be aware that the UK has had a lot of garlic rust and garlic rot happening, so thoroughly check your garlic heads and cloves before storing and planting out so that you don't perpetuate these problems. Otherwise, yes, I save and plant my own garlic.

Babyshoes

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 22:46 »
A lot of our garlic had a sort of secondary bulb in the stem above the main bulb - I believe these are ok to eat, but would they also work for planting?

The cloves are a bit small in some of them so fiddly to peel for kitchen use, and we have saved them with the intention of planting them in the next couple of months...

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 00:42 »
The top 'seeds' are on the 'scape', the name for the flowering head. You can plant the little teeny bulbs, but it will take about 3 years repeated replantings to get them to useful size. Also, the bulb's energy is diverted to the seedhead and you'll get a smaller  ground bulb. Most of us decide which we'd prefer; if you want a nice big bulb, snap off the seedhead as soon as you see it forming and use it in stir fries and such.

Babyshoes

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 17:24 »
I didn't know it was part of the scape, and I certainly didn't notice any flowers starting or I would have snapped them off. These are just a centimetre or two above the main bulb, not where I would expect the scape to be - on our elephant garlic flowers started forming which we took off, but still got the secondary bulbs...

Wierd things plants, and can be confusing when you start growing them - they are often nothing like the stuff you buy in the shops!  :happy:

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 19:11 »
on our elephant garlic flowers started forming which we took off, but still got the secondary bulbs...

Wierd things plants, and can be confusing when you start growing them - they are often nothing like the stuff you buy in the shops!  :happy:

Just checking - you do know that elephant garlic is not a true garlic and is much weaker than ordinary shop bought garlic? 

Babyshoes

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 22:21 »

Just checking - you do know that elephant garlic is not a true garlic and is much weaker than ordinary shop bought garlic? 

Oh yes, we have had elephant garlic before from a market, that isn't what I meant at all! I wasn't referring to the taste, though that is sometimes different too. (Usually nicer!)

I meant that they look different and things like the garlic 'skin' is thicker on our own garlic, for example, or yellow courgettes that you don't get in the shops, and non-uniform, funny shaped veg etc. Also, sometimes the parent plant turns out to be completely different to how you imagine it from the veg you get in the shops - for example I always imagined things like calabrese and cauliflower being a low compact plant like a cabbage, but they actually get quite tall. I had no idea what to expect from an artichoke plant until I had some pointed out to me when we were visiting Italy about a year ago!

They also don't always do what you instinctively expect them to do - they grow bigger, they get extra bits like the extra garlic cloves, they need more or less water than you think - that sort of thing!

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 11:39 »
Thanks all.

Trillium - I had rust on these garlic plants. Should I not use them, or is there som kind of treatment I can give them to either stop it spreading or prevent it happening?

I must admit I didn't treat it this year as just got too busy and too much conflicting advice on what to do about it.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 09:04 »
on our elephant garlic flowers started forming which we took off, but still got the secondary bulbs...

yes its part of the leek family,,,

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 10:21 »
Vineweevil the rust question is interesting my garlic had a degree of rust but still seems to have produced a reasonable crop. Starting from "clean" stock sounds safer but it seems everyone on our allotments ends up with rust. Cheers HH 
Keep digging

xx
What to plant with garlic?

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 17:02
by Greendream
xx
When to plant Garlic?

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 11:52
by DD.
xx
What to plant after garlic

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 08:02
by corndolly
xx
When should I plant my garlic?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 14:47
by pdblake

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.