Storing potatoes

• 5 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Storing potatoes
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:57 »
Hi,
I lifted my maris piper crop last week & after leaving them in the sun for a full day on saturday ( yes we had a whole day of sun!!!!!) I've stored them in an hessian sack in the garage.

How long will the keep? Will they see me through the winter?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: Storing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:45 »
They should last you a good few months. I would empty them out every week or 2 to take out any that are starting to rot.

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:05 »
Although I bought some sacks fom the potato day at garden organic back on feb I am using trays this year. Tesco have a help yourself box area and I have so far brought home 10 trays that held punnets of fruit of iceberg lettuce (another 20 to get yet). They are sturdy and stack on top of each other. and I can get plenty in my shed. The thinking is that I can separate into trays ones for baking spuds, small, medium size etc and write on the side what's  in the tray in big felt tip so OH can read it!!!! and use the right ones. I can easliy lift the trays to check if any are going rotten  rather than have to empty a big bag and with a bit of newpapers between each tray should keep them ok. I may have to use bags as an over spill and store in the tiny shed if yields are really good.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 13:11 »
been thinking about storing some in cardboard boxes. does anyone else do this and do they keep ok?
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 13:55 »

i bought some potato sacks and onion nets from mr. fothergills and they arrived yesterday, gonna dig up the rest of the charlotte tonight and store them, then the weekend probably get the maris piper maincrop up, well, maybe half of them  :)

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 17:23 »
Although I bought some sacks fom the potato day at garden organic back on feb I am using trays this year. Tesco have a help yourself box area and I have so far brought home 10 trays that held punnets of fruit of iceberg lettuce (another 20 to get yet). They are sturdy and stack on top of each other. and I can get plenty in my shed. The thinking is that I can separate into trays ones for baking spuds, small, medium size etc and write on the side what's  in the tray in big felt tip so OH can read it!!!! and use the right ones. I can easliy lift the trays to check if any are going rotten  rather than have to empty a big bag and with a bit of newpapers between each tray should keep them ok. I may have to use bags as an over spill and store in the tiny shed if yields are really good.
Presume the place you are storing them is dark then?
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
Storing new potatoes

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 11:08
by woodburner
xx
Storing Potatoes

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 22:30
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Storing new potatoes?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 16:53
by Glosterboy
xx
Storing my potatoes

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 21:16
by cacran

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.