carrots

• 32 Replies

maddave

• Experienced Member
Re: carrots
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43 »
I've never really had any trouble with carrots. All I do is make sure they are sown in raised beds filled with new multipurpose compost from the garden centre each year.  Germination this year was a bit rubbish, but sown at the end of april and kept watered for at least 7 days, things started to happen and then just watered as the beds got dry.

Picture is of an Autumn king carrot - far right - which I would have thought shouldn't be picked until autumn, but they are all massive and look great. This was picked in mid July!!  The others are from a rainbow mix which, as someone else said above, all seem to be yellow!!  I was hoping for the purple carrots shown on the packet, but they all seem to be the same pale colour!!

The green carrots on the left are not carrots!!  :lol: :lol:
20200718_063749.jpg

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05 »
I have tried a new method this year, I rarely grow because of the issues and hassle however...

This year I have grown New Market and I have used a spray, yep orange peel, mint and garlic, spray the plants once a week.
So did it work?
Yep, from a complete row (20ft) only two had fly, no netting or other methods, just simply spraying once a week.
I have also sown 4 more rows (another experiment) of the same carrot to see if I can get a winter crop as the packet and other info suggests you can sow upto August, all being well plenty of carrots for winter.

Interesting...quantities, method...does it keep?
Always good to hear varying cures/prevention.
I was thinking of sowing some more in a recently acquired half barrel.
The spray is two orange peels, two cloves of garlic and I used two sprigs of mint, pulled the leaves off. 1 Ltr of water, put into a juicer/ liquidiser and mush up, bottle and leave to stand for a week then when you want to spray pour into another (2ltr+) bottle through a sieve and add another Ltr of water (approx 2ltrs in total), spray the leaves and around the base of the carrot.
The four rows have just been sowed last week, time will tell on that one.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 21:27 »
Thanks Aidy, I might give that a try.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Help please, something on my carrots....

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 10:54
by mickeyboy
xx
Carrots from down under

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 08:00
by DD.
xx
carrots

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 21:15
by TheWhiteRabbit

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 41 queries.