Chicken Treats

• 23 Replies

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken Treats
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 23:18 »
I put out enough layers pellets to last all day, Mark.
Corn is saved for their tea-time treat so they digest it overnight.
cathangirl

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22 »
Personally I wouldn't mix corn in -corn should be a little treat given in the afternoons after the staple food of pellets has been eaten. Corn is a bit like chocolate and if mixed in with their pellets they will just pick those bits out first and fill up on corn. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:54 by Aunt Sally »

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 19:18 »
Thanks for that I will put the layers pellets out for the day and corn in the afternoon when my daughter gets home from school. Does anyone put sand out for the ladies? My mother in law said they like a sand bath??? I have a little tray of grit out in the run, what sort of grit do you guys use? I just got some alpine grit from the garden centre today as I cant find any poultry grit around here at the moment.....Will that be okay for now?
We have had a first egg today which was very eggciting for my daughter......
Mad Mark

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 20:25 »
Sharp sand is very good i find for a dust bath and they also eat it but poultry grit should be available as it contains shell for calcium. The best tip is to go to your greengrocers/supermarket and ask for any cauliflower trimmings, cut up and steamed are great free greens this time of year.

ScottBarton

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 23:55 »
My 3 girls get a daily dose of corn at bedtime fed from the hand. At weekends i scatter a load over the lawn for them to hunt down. and sometimes daily scattered in the run bark chippings.

Occasionally i buy a couple of large corn on the cobs and hang them up in the run...watch them strip that in no time!!!!

I also give them the odd apple, grapes and cooked spaghetti.

Cold mornings they are treated to a bowl of luke warm Ready Brek...they go mad for it!

At the moment i am getting a return of two eggs per day for 3 birds. Dont think my BlueBelle is laying just yet.

I leave a feeder of layers pellets for them all day along with the drinker. I also have on offer a bowl of crushed oyster shell and a bowl of Hen flint grit.

I think they are happy!
 :)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 07:35 »
Congratulations on the first egg Mark!  Admit it, you found it exciting, too.
cathangirl

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 15:17 »
Certainly did find it eggciting too. Cant wait to get home from work and see what has happened today on the egg front.
NOt sure which bird it is yet will have to investigate further. There was one rosey when I took it away as if she was protesting vehemently.
Will see what we have this evening. :)

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 15:30 »
Have I got the only chickens here that like to eat dead mice!!!!!! :ohmy: they even catch live ones,  they love them and riot break out if one has found a mouse and the other one want it!!  Why oh why also do they like my veggie plot, even though it is fenced they circle it like a shark on its prey Little bu**ers!!!

matilda duck

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 15:31 »
Regarding treats sprouts are fun!!  Starts off as football then becomes rugby.  

My girlies fav is boiled ham!!!!!!!!  They can smell it a mile off. ::)

I told OH to give them a treat yesterday and it is a treat....My God it was like 9 VELOCERAPTORS  heading for us :ohmy:  now I know chickens have evolved from dinosaurs :lol: :lol:

xx
Chicken Treats

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:49
by matthew2riches
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury
xx
Treats

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 20:33
by Newbie

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.