i have been given a challenge

• 4 Replies

chrissie B

« on: December 16, 2007, 11:28 »
as you can ses by the title i have a challenge from the greek ladies of the village association  they want me to make a traditional well they said english Christmas sweet or cake something along those lines , i thought brittish so an easy recipie from england scotland ireland and wales , shortbread scotland of course and mince pies england but stuck for ireland and wales , this all happens in church on the 29 th it has to be idiot proof , me being the idiot ,
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

David.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:45 »
For Welsh, what about Picau ar y maen, Teisen laeth enwyn or Bara brith?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 13:19 »
Bara brith is very nice, I've not tried the others.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 13:29 »
I would have said that your candied peel would be very suitable Chrissie.

Shortbread is certainly a candidate and was the food of choice for feeding Santa's reindeer before healthy food fads brought in the carrot.  Several very large shortbread factories up here - Walkers of Aberlour, Deans of Huntly (the best IMHO), and Baxters of Speyside (I think they make shortbread).

Black Bun is also traditional although probably moreso for New Year (which was generally more celebrated than Christmas).

Selkie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 14:21 »
For Irish the only thing that comes to mind would be Barm Brack - which is a more of a HallowE'en though...but we eat it all year round.

I can send you my Mum's recipe if you like? It's VERY easy but you do need to soak the fruit in the tea for about 24 hours beforehand.

xx
A recipe challenge

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 18:09
by madcat

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.