Jerusalem artichoke dilema

• 8 Replies

mattwragg94

Jerusalem artichoke dilema
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:21 »
Well ive been looking for some jerusalem artichokes for some time - and on sunday whilst i was on at the local gardening shop someone brought in a tray of them - so i grabbed them

- the only problem is that ive never grown them before - so i dont know what to do with them, they are in a tray full of soil and have shoots on them around 3 inches high, im wanting to grow these in pots, so do i burry the tuber, foliage and them keep earthing them up like pots - or plant the tubers just below the surface so that the foliage is on the top.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Jerusalem artichoke dilema
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31 »
They're not fussy plants but you will need large containers per tuber.  Plant six inches deep and don't bother with earthing them up as being related to sunflowers they get very tall. ::)  It is quite late to be planting them but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Cheese makes everything better.

Kim50

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 14:06 »
Bought 3 from the fuit and veg section in As.a a while back.  My neighbour had them on his plot last year and the flowers were fantastic.  Mine are destined for the garden.  Growing really strongly now  :)

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 14:07 »
thanks for the reply ice and kim50 - i will put some of them in the soil aswell as some of them in tubs - they cost me nothing, and like you said - nothing ventured .... ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 00:54 »
Jerusalem Artichokes? Ruddy weeds!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42 »
Jerusalem Artichokes? Ruddy weeds!

They are a bit invasive so it is best to give them their own spot where they can rampage around.  Also best to try and dig out all the tubers when harvesting and then replant selected ones, rather than leave them in the ground permanently.  If left un-spaced, you get lots of gnarly little tubers as they get overcrowded very quickly.

They have an unfortunate effect on most people's digestion, so be prepared for a windy night once you have eaten them  ;)  :)

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30 »
They ar'nt nick named Jerusalem Fartichokes without reason. We love em sliced and lightly fried in butter or a soup of them or mashed in with spuds. I agree with all above important to dig them all up at harvest time eat some save good smooth tubers in peat or sand in cool place over winter, plant 6 in deep in Feb/March depending on area. Can be useful as a shelter from prevailing winds as grow to 6/7 ft tall. Never had much in the way of flowers though.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 20:29 »
I decided I didn't like them for all the right reasons so I dug every bit out - I thought.

The next year they were up again in full force so I placed a large Dalek composter on top and filled it.

Now they are growing up round the sides of the composter!

So I slash them down in summer and add them to the composter - good green materials.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 21:31 »
My five tubers gave us plenty last autumn

I left a few small ones in the ground and now I have a thicket about 0.5 m by 1m  :ohmy:

Some have migrated into the path alongside the bed they are in too  ::)

I do like the flowers, as they are very cheerful and a bit of a bonus on an edible crop  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 19:45
by Mr Dog
xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 06:33
by bazh
xx
Jerusalem Artichoke

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 23:36
by wighty
xx
jerusalem artichoke

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 16:09
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.