Ex batts needing homes end of july

• 62 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:34 »
There is a hen rescue at the end of july being organised by northlondonhenrescue group, if anyone can rehome a couple of ex-batts please follow this thread and reply to carly, they already have homes for 400 but its a large farm and thousands still in need of rehomeing, don't worry if you don't live in london as there will be co-ordinaters  and pick up points scattered around the country

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3357&sid=feb6f368d793d91da2e245b89e9bd998
Katt

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:18 »
they now have a dedicated website where there is a map of all the pick up points around the country, if you'r looking to adopt a couple of ex-batts have a look to see if there is a pick up point near you :)
http://northlondonhenrescue.org.uk/

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:29 »
I just wanted to say that i know a lot of people are put off rehoming ex batts as they think they are harder to look after and arnt as pretty but from personal experience they are loverly, they are gentle, very friendly (my 3 year old picks them up more than we do), they arnt any harder to look after, they just arnt as robust as normal hens for a couple of days, a few days with a loving family and they are jumping and running about as much as our other hens, and watching them take their first steps on grass is the best feeling.
So if anyone is considering getting ex batts then do it, you wont regret it.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 13:08 »
thanks for writing that mtoyne, you are right I think people are afraid of getting ex-batts but apparently within just a couple of hours of normal life they perk up amazingly, I was about to buy a couple of 'new' hens but in the end decided to get a  couple of ex-batts from the july rescue, if nothing else it sure has a feel good factor knowing youve saved a couple of girlies from sure death, personally I can't wait and I hope others will feel the same,,, please please help :)

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 14:44 »
Wish someone would chat to my hubby.. he's convinced they are trouble with a capital T. :(

Hope these find a home. :)

henpecked

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 18:09 »
I've just offered to act as a pick-up point!  :roll:  OH is cringing...what if the adopters don't turn up...!

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 18:11 »
Quote from: "henpecked"
I've just offered to act as a pick-up point!  :roll:  OH is cringing...what if the adopters don't turn up...!

Oh brilliant, I'm sure everything will go to plan, its quite a well thought out operation :D  :D

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 19:42 »
i daren't, just daren't, you know what happened last time............................

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 21:37 »
Quote from: "henpecked"

I was looking at the website thinking it would be great to do the same but OH would go mad, where in north yorks are you henpecked? If you do get stuck with some im sure i could squeeze a few more in with mine.
Ive just been reading these out to OH, it was my idea to get chickens and my idea to rescue battery hens and OH has just said that he wouldnt be without chickens now, if ours went to chicken heaven he would get more straight away so there you go.

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 21:43 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
Wish someone would chat to my hubby.. he's convinced they are trouble with a capital T. :(

Hope these find a home. :)

To Porffors husband- ex batts are no more trouble than any other chickens- i promise. Ours are more friendly aswell, you'd think that with them spending their lives in cages that they would be scared of people but its the other way round. Ive got a girl aged 3 and a boy aged 10 and the chickens and kids get on great.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 22:24 »
I am in North Yorkshire too, Whitby.  Wonder if we could manage a few more eggs.  How easy is it to integrate batteries in with existing hens?

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 22:28 »
we kept ours seperate but able to see each other forr a couple of days until they built up some strength then we let them out with our other girls and just kept an eye on them, within a week they were all fine.

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 23:22 »
newbie, i used to live in Whitby (well just outside) where are you roughly?

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 23:25 »
to porffors other half, if you don't let her get ex batts, you'll soon be an ex husband, get it?  this was typed in a very stern voice.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:15 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
to porffors other half, if you don't let her get ex batts, you'll soon be an ex husband, get it?  this was typed in a very stern voice.

:lol:  :lol:

xx
hens needing new homes! advert

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 17:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
two ex batts needing your help please

Started by lesleyann on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 02:36
by Tony H
xx
cockerels needing a home

Started by ruggief on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 30, 2006, 18:46
by ruggief
xx
Battery hens need homes.....

Started by sarahc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 22:05
by joyfull

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 39 queries.