What to do with metal biscuit tins?

• 19 Replies

Yana

« on: January 29, 2013, 07:47 »
Over the festive period, I succumbed to a special offer at the local Trashco and bought several tins of biscuits. Now I have the tins left and don't know what to do with them. The thing is that the tins aren't square or oblong. They are oval, heart shaped and not very deep so no good for storing seeds really. Seems such a shame to just throw them away. Any ideas?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Springlands

Re: What to do with metal biscuit tins?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:25 »
They could be used to store plant labels, pencils, notepads, string, scissors and lots more of the small things that are kept in our greenhouses or sheds.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28 »
I use tins for storing dry goods at home such as flour, biscuits, crackers, baking stuff.  If they are pretty I leave them out in the kitchen

In my shed I have tins as suggested by the last poster

Failing that they get Freecycled. If no takers, they go in the recylc. Your local tip will take them off your hands. Don't bin them  :)

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30 »
How deep are they? I use biscuit tins to hold toilet roll inners for starting off beans. Stab a few holes in the bottom first.

It doesn't matter what shape they are but they need to be at least half the height of the inners I would say

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32 »

Store metal biscuits, of course!

I'll get my coat.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07 »
What about baking a batch of biscuits or chocolates and reuse the tins for Valentines day gifts, dressing them up with pretty tissue paper and cellophane wrappers?

If they have branding on the tin, you could spray paint them (filling the inside with newspaper and masking off the edges so they shut OK).
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yana

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53 »
Hey Angela, are you suggesting I have several Valentines or that my Valentine would like several tins of chocs/ biscuits??
Actually, the latter is about right. Happily married to the same man for 30 years in October this year. He has a lot to put up with so I am liking the biscuits baking idea. No good at chocolates, so cookies it is.
 :wub:

syks grower

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 20:43 »
I use them for storing my packets of seeds.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 21:27 »
I use tins of all sorts for my crafty stuff.  :)

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 21:31 »
I have loads! I store my seeds in a couple, but people keep saving them for me! In fact, I need something to store my biscuit tins in! ???
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 21:32 »
I have loads! I store my seeds in a couple, but people keep saving them for me! In fact, I need something to store my biscuit tins in! ???

Another shed?   :lol:

Agatha

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 16:25 »
I keep mine so that if I have something to put cakes/biscuits in if I am giving them away.  I just use them as they are if I am sending folk home with the surplus after a coffee morning etc, but if it is a present then I paste pretty scraps of wrapping paper onto the lid & round the sides of the tin.

'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

wighty

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 17:23 »
I take any spare tins I have round to my local High School.  They are always putting out an appeal for them, don't know what they use them for, but it's better than putting them out for rubbish.  They accept plastic as well as metal.

Ema

madcat

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 14:39 »
Err  ...  looking around the house in my mind's eye there are tins with seeds for the garden, sunflower seeds for the birds, holding noodles, uncooked prawn crackers, pappadums, flapjack, drid cat food, lace, threads, nightlights, candle ends, there are some pretty empty ones on a shelf in the guest bedroom waiting for something useful, there are several in his workshop with the odd screws and nails and stuff that is going to come in useful, in the shed there is one that contains the packets of chemicals that need keeping dry, in my office there is one full of odd pens ....

And the plastic ones from quality street at Christmas get a quick wrap of sticky back plastic (thank you blue peter!) and a house plan pot  in them!  You can get awaay with some very scruffy plant pots that way! :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Beer kit tins

Started by silver8 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 21:25
by weeeed
xx
Empty food tins...

Started by Benandbill on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:38
by Benandbill
xx
Baby milk tins

Started by parsley on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 06:05
by parsley
xx
feta cheese tins

Started by chrissie B on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:59
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.