Too Late to Lay a pond ?

• 30 Replies

hubballi

Too Late to Lay a pond ?
« on: March 04, 2011, 18:44 »
I have had a large black sunken tub in our small walled garden for around 8 years which is about 2 ft wide and deep. While it attracts frogs I have never had success with water boatmen and pond skaters probably because it is too small ( I did put some boatmen in one year)

As we are in the middle of re-designing the garden I thought now would be a good time to get a molded plastic pond liner that has a bigger surface area and will attract more pond life. If anyone here would be kind enough to give me guidance as to the size, area ( and of course the time to do it I would be grateful (at the moment it's south facing against a wall)

I really would like to do it for this season because I would love to watch the pond life and of course we love the frogs. I would of course use the existing water and mud in this pond to go into the new.

Thanks.

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
Re: Too Late to Lay a pond ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 19:23 »
I'm replacing the in-laws pond with a new fancy GRP pond liner next week. Good time to do it now if it stays dry - you'll be ready for the spring. Only bad time to do a pond is end of autumn into winter.

As for size etc - whatever suits your garden - try not to place it somewhere where it will get direct sunlight all day as this just encourages loads of algae, somewhere it gets a bit of shade in the brightest part of the day will help.

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:46 »
I could always grow plants around one side to shade it. My Buddlea used to do that job but I had to dig it out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:53 »
Having helped some friends to install an admittedly gigantic GRP pond liner a few years ago I used butyl rubber liner for mine!

Some shade is definitely beneficial in a very open location, and you should always check that the water table is not above the depth of the pond or you you could find your new pond rising mysteriously from the ground! (This can happen with flexible liners as well although it's not as obvious!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15 »
i agree, having made dozens of ponds over the years, a flexible liner is MUCH easier to install than a moulded one. Having said that, we're just about to upgrade the allotment 2' moulded pond for a 4' moulded one cos I got it off freegle!

hubballi

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 19:47 »
I would have thought a flexable one would be harder, especially to get the amount you need right and then all that messing with sand, under liner etc. That would cost a lot too.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 20:05 »
I have had pond skaters turn up on a water butt so size is not everything. :)
I read that they are night fliers who home in on the light reflected from waters surface.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:06 »
I would have thought a flexable one would be harder, especially to get the amount you need right and then all that messing with sand, under liner etc. That would cost a lot too.

What makes rigid liner harder in my opinion is excavating the right shape (lots of lifting the liner in and out to see where it's touching the bottom) and then trying to backfill down the sides  - you don't want large voids behind any areas as it will tend to sag into them (they're not 100% rigid). With a flexible you dig out just as much as you want, you don't have to use sand if you take the time to check the soil and you can use cheap membrane as the underlayer.

Tip for backfilling a rigid liner - part fill it with water then tip shovelfuls of soil down the sides, then wash it in with a watering can. If you don't part-fill it, the liner can end up floating on the water from the watering can.... I speak from experience  ???

hubballi

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 19:02 »
Can anyone advise me on what type of liner for a good price, size to at least attract skaters, boatmen etc ? Rubber or plastic ?

Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 20:50 »
PVC liners are cheaper than butyl rubber, but are not reckoned to last as long (still pretty long-lived though.)

For a wildlife pond I'd be tempted to save money and buy PVC as it wouldn't be quite the same disaster as it would be if it punctured when full of prize Koi carp!

It's usually purchased by the metre on quite wide rolls; you can make any sized pond you like (you just trim off any excess.)

You just need to work out how much you need to line a given size/depth pond (good idea to buy the protective "fleece" as well to go underneath the liner to protect it from puncturing by stones.)

I'm sure Googling "pond liners" will give you lots of info, including how to calculate how much you need to buy, as would a garden centre with an aquatic department.

savbo

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 13:38 »
PVC for me too, if you design out exposed plastic (with overhanging flags, turf etc) I can't see deterioration being a problem. Plenty of bargains on ebay and gogle

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 13:48 »
I posted on a previous thread about Bradshaw's pond liners - way, way, way cheaper than Butyl but have a 25 year guarantee so they are really good quality.  We used one to build our raised pond and dad has used the liners for various Koi ponds for years so I would recommend them.  Perhaps it's worth doing a bit of a web search before making your final choice of liner?

Old underlay or carpet can make a good alternative to sand under your pond liner if you're trying to keep costs down.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

hubballi

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 15:16 »
It just so happened that I ordered a Bradshaws 2.5 meter x 2.5 meter (with free underlay) for £18.10 on Amazon (+£4.99 postage) Way cheaper than Ebay :-)

Does that sound reasonable ?

hamstergbert

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 17:21 »
the price seems not unreasonable - but that size suggests a pond that is either somewhat small or somewhat shallow or somewhat both! Could be tricky keeping it cool enough for the wildlife.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

savbo

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 17:29 »
you'd get a 1m square and 75cm deep pond from that, fine for a small amount of wildlife but if a great diving beetle finds it, everything will get eaten!

I've had lots of success with washing up bowls as mini ponds so while I would always prefer soemthing like 2m x 1m and at least a little area 1m deep,if this is the space Hubbali has, I'm sure it's worth doing...

xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
My new pond

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

109 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 13:41
by smud6ie
xx
pond

Started by edlomatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 22:05
by richyrich7
xx
establishing a pond,please help!!

Started by mickeyboy on Design and Construction

31 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 22:26
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.