Pond liners

• 6 Replies

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Pond liners
« on: January 28, 2015, 17:38 »
Anyone have any experience of buying pond liner. Have looked up various sites. Don't want to spend a fortune . Pond is for wildlife area on allotment. Using a grant so finances are an issue as there is plenty more to spend the money on. Some companies seem to say that if you don't buy an under liner the liner will not be guaranteed. I have so far lined mine with old carpet. The ground is very stony and was used a machanics garage so is full of rubbish, although I have dug out a lot!! Any advice would be helpful.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Steveharford

Re: Pond liners
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 18:28 »
Butyl is best but v expensive. There are some very good pvc liners about and worth shopping around on tinternet. I have used sand and then carpet on average sized ponds with great success. On a large pond (swimming pool size) I have used industrial bubble wrap as an underlay.  That particular job survived being attacked with a fork from a fork lift truck which somehow dropped off while loading a piece of test equipment. That was a pvc liner.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:54 »
I "inherited" a pond on my allotment plot in a very poor state and in need of a new liner which was easier than having to fill it in.  I got one from e-bay which was very cheap but did the job.  Just be aware that you will need a liner much bigger than you think.  In my case, I used old carpet and an old tarpaulin to reline the pond.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:56 »
I bought our liner from Bradshaws and it has been trouble free for many years. Our local aquarium shop also sells it by the metre and it looks good quality.

As long as you line the hole with something so stones don't puncture it with the weight of the water and keep the edges covered so it is not in the sunshine, they last for at least ten years
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 18:01 »
I brought mine from b&q there only plastic but pretty thick and fairly cheap

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 15:50 »
I used the PVC liner with a matching piece of woven plastic 'underlay' (like horticultural fleece but thicker), both bought from the same Aquarium shop.

Although buying underlay adds to the cost, at least you won't invalidate any guarantee, and can be sure it won't rot away after a few years. Must be 10 years or more since I built my pond and I've had no leaks in that time.

Try to pick a warm day to fit it - you will still have a wrestling match on your hands but at least will have some chance of winning by the end of the bout!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 18:24 »
Thanks everyone for your advice. Have now bought liner and underlay, have old carpet already down, the ground is very stony so extra underneath will help. Liner arrived Monday. Itching to fit it but of course it is too cold! Also water butts are half frozen so no water! Hopefully the weather will improve in the next couple of weeks.

xx
My new pond

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

109 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 13:41
by smud6ie
xx
pond

Started by edlomatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 22:05
by richyrich7
xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
making a pond

Started by Annen on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 00:38
by Annen

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.