It's Super Hens!

• 4 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
It's Super Hens!
« on: July 26, 2012, 13:34 »
Hi All!  About a month ago, we brought home three new POL hens.  All has progressed fairly well until my husband decided to cut the front garden's lawn and took down the chicken wire fence between where the hens live (our back garden) and our front garden.  They went out to the front tentatively to explore and then we put them back, put the fence back up.  To my surprise, the next morning, there they were again in the front garden.  Found a hole in the fence, fixed it.  Then they flew over the fence.  Clipped one of each hen's wings.  Flew over anyways.  Put a big duvet over the fence which scared them for about two hours and then someone discovered that they could get through the fence further along.  Sorry for the long story, but now we are in the process of making a big fence and gate for that area.  These new hens are nothing like our old ladies!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

kegs

Re: It's Super Hens!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 15:07 »
 :lol:

I did the same... started off with a 3ft fence (so naive) which OH increased to 5, then wing clipping, then 6.  Then he had to add chicken wire on the top.   Our garden now resembles fort knox!   Even now we have a Super Hen who whenever she wants, jumps on a shelter and up to the top of a 8ft run, she manoeuvres herself along the top then launches herself across the garden.  Then takes herself back when she's had enough adventures.  Such a clever chicken.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 22:28 »
Oh yus, Chicken fort knox. Wings clipped and we still found them out of the pen and up in the apple tree. Houdini hens :lol:

Run is now covered over so they can't get out and become dinner to the 10 local foxes that lurk at the forest entrance.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:31 »
I had no idea that I would ever have hens that did this!  To add to the problem, they can't figure out how to get back into the back garden.  We are going for the five foot fence and hope that holds them.  I like the idea of chick wire on top of it! ;)

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 16:35 »
Slounds like theyre the next prison break stars lol

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

xx
super cheap netting

Started by daz on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 23:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Super Reusable Fly Trap - Only £1!

Started by FCG on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 19:39
by FCG
xx
super duper hen runs and quite cheap

Started by barley on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 10:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.