Advice needed - chick not well!!

• 7 Replies
Advice needed - chick not well!!
« on: July 25, 2012, 13:30 »
 Hi, I am a new member to this site and hope someone can give me some advice. One of my Bantams, a white Cochin, Pearl, has stopped laying.  She is still eating & drinking, but is not as vocal as normal.  She had a small prolapse about 10 days ago, which i popped back in, again 2 days later.  She has had a bit of a mucky bottom, which i wash off.  I noticed yesterday and again today that she has a bit of yellowish liquid which looks similar to puss around her rear end, and she seems to be clenching and relaxing her bottom when i have checked her.  I am really worried that it could be Yolk Peritinitis or similar - any help or suggestions?  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice needed - chick not well!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 13:44 »
I would advise you take her to a vets, if it is egg peritonitis then she needs treating asap, although sometimes treatment isn't an option  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 14:24 »
As Joyfull says take her to the vet. 

Are you sure it's pus?  It could be the yolk that's coming out and the egg is still inside her, especially if it's a soft shell which she's having trouble passing.  Can you see any shell at all?  While you wait for the vet's appointment you could try giving her a warm bath (and put a bit of vaseline on her vent too) to see if that helps her pass the egg and then dry her with a hair dryer on its warm (not hot) setting.  Mucky bums can be a sign of worms too but regular treatments with Flubenvet will sort that out.

Good luck with your chicken and welcome to the forum even though it's under difficult circumstances.  :(

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 19:41 »
Thanks for your advice Joyfull and Kegs, really appreciated.  Not sure how to bath a chick, do i just submerge her bottom in the water?  I will certainely try this in the meantime.  Yes, it could be the yolk, not thought of that!!  I have checked her again a few times, no change.  I have also felt her tummy to see if i could feel any lumps or bumps, but she feels normal to me. So it looks like a bath and the Vets tomorrow.  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 20:32 »
Ffill a sink with warm water and place her in it. You can either clean her rear end with your hand or was with baby shampoo. after about 30 mins her muscles should have relaxed enough to pass any egg remain. Towel dry her off and then blow dry her with a hair dryer on a warm setting.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:14 »
How is she today?

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:27 »
Thanks again for advice.  She is the same today, no worse or better.  Eating, drinking and scratching as usual, and out free ranging with my other 3 bantams at the moment.
I will try her with a bath and see what happens!!  Will let you know later today how it went.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 22:52 »
Just a note to update you on Pearl.  Tried the bath today, she relaxel after the initial shock of being dunked in water. We cleaned her bottom area, looking good, not sore or any sign of another small prolapse.  No sign of eggshell bits or yolk - nice normal looking clean vent. 
She cuddled into  the towel after her bath and even laid on her back to have her tummy dried off with the dryer!!  One laid back happy chick - eyes closed, floppy legs and loving the attention :) :)  She was certainely very vocal when put out with the others afterwards - showing off her now very fluffy feathers - show off!!

xx
Advice needed on chick

Started by karenkte on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 21:07
by rosie14
xx
Advice needed for egg/chick

Started by grinling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 21:40
by grinling
xx
Urgent chick advice needed

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 09:36
by Vember
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.