What happened to my Blueberry Bush

• 5 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
What happened to my Blueberry Bush
« on: May 22, 2020, 19:17 »
 Hi
I wonder if anyone can tell me what happened to my Blueberry Bush. It looked great a week ago. I thought it had a slight yellow tinge and needed to feed it. But it had loads of flowers and I was looking forward to my first homegrown blueberries this year. But today it looked like this. As you can see the other bush is fine.
sorry no idea why the photo is on its side!!
I have been watering them regularly as well. Gutted to be honest I'll be lucky if it survives!!!

Twood
IMG_2595.jpeg
IMG_2594.jpeg
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

jambop

Re: What happened to my Blueberry Bush
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 22:46 »
Well that is a shame it looked so healthy. Did you repot that from a pot grow nursery plant? If so did you use an ericaceous type of compost? The other thing could be over or under watering? Or did you leave it in a greenhouse maybe and scorched it? Thing is if it has had some sort of shock it may recover if you just nurture it. Do not over water it the do not like to be too wet and the defo prefer acid soil... it may bounce back with some new leaves in due course... I hope so.
edit
The other thing that comes to mind is perhaps you brought it out of a sheltered place into the open and it took it badly and just an observation it looks a bit deeper planted than the other one? One thing though never give up it may come back in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 22:50 by jambop »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 22:51 »
Agree with Jambop comments.
There could be an issue with over watering reducing the acidity of the compost, did you use rain water or tap?
Rain water is slightly more acidic which is better.
I would test it to be sure.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:13 »
Hi
thanks for your replies Aidy and Jambop
Originally they were both in the same pots until yesterday but when it started to look sick I repotted it in the hopes that it would help
They were both planted in ericaceous compost originally yesterdays repot wasn't but it was emergency to see if i could save it. Admittedly it was wet at the bottom but I have watered them  both the same ( always rain water from the water butt)
Always out in the open both in the same spot Ive moved this one to repot and away from the other in case its some sort of blight to prevent the other from becoming affected as well

Twood

jambop

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:40 »

I am hopeful this will regrow but another thing that came to mind. Could there be a chance that the evil vine weevil could have been at the roots of the sickly one ? It seems strange that they were both growing well then one suddenly keeled over .

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 20:06 »
Def a weird one, got my head scratching   :( For the whole plant to in effect be dying off either something has got in the compost or as Jambob says something is affecting the root system, never seen owt like it.

Fingers crossed you can save it.

xx
Blueberry bush??

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 05:56
by parsley
xx
Blueberry bush ID

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 13:31
by Lardman
xx
blueberry bush

Started by jon_mac on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:17
by karooba007
xx
Blueberry bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2024, 10:26
by Snow

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 39 queries.