seedlings

• 6 Replies

saggy

seedlings
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:35 »
hi all, please bare with me as this is all very new to me.

I have been reading up on various methods of setting seeds on here and have a couple of questions. they may sound very silly but as a growing newbie hopefuly you wont laugh to much.

1. Leeks. I have done the cat litter tray method and they are sprouting up great but have noticed that some have turned brown at the whispy end. is this lack or water / to much water / to cold or perfectly normal?

2. aubergines.  these seem to be going strong but my dad told me i could put them outside in the plastic seedlingtype greenhouse but I have lost half of these to the cold so have brought these back to the sill. Is it best to leave them there till they get much bigger stronger then to move them out side to harden off?

3. Tomatoes. I have 3 different variaties. these have now started to come through again on the sill. do i just let them go as a friend at work says to keep them cool so the dont get leggy?

4. strawberry. the kids have sprinkled seeds and again they are starting to come through. these are outside in the plasit seed thing. Will they be ok out there? or best to bring them in.

Sorry for the maybe simple question but suppose we have to start somewhere and the packs give very basic instructions if any.

Last 2 question.

Potatoes. I have some Vivaldi chitting in the summerhouse. when do these need to go off to the allotment.

Onions. I could not get down to the lotty due to weather so put these in the garden in a compost filled box i knocked up. Is it ok to lift these out to transfer to the lotty? they are shooting well and dont want to destroy them in the move :)

martin

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01 »
Wow so many questions :D I'll make a start :)
1. Leeks. some have turned brown at the whispy end. Mine sometimes do this as long as they are not drying out..they are ok
2. aubergines.   Is it best to leave them there till they get much bigger stronger then to move them out side to harden off? Keep them inside for a good while yet. It is still quite chilly for them. Mine don't go out into a greenhouse till the beginning of may and even then if a frost is forcast I bring them back indoors at night
3. Tomatoes. I have 3 different variaties. these have now started to come through again on the sill. do i just let them go as a friend at work says to keep them cool so the dont get leggy? Have you potted them into their own pots yet? After that I'd do the same thing as for the Aubs....they can take day time temps a bit cooler but will check if get too cold

Your onions and spuds can all go in now. Just be gentle when you unravel the onion roots :)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:04 by mumofstig »

saggy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:08 »
thanks Mumofstig. sorry for lots of questions. been meaning to ask one by one for a while and not had a chance to get online for a while so hit them all at once :)

thanks for the tips and advice. Shall be gently coaxing the onions out. thankfully they are in very light compost so shall let it dry a bit and lift them for re-location.

Martin

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:34 »
They are actually easier to seperate wet  :D

You can actually wash all the earth off if it makes it easier, just replant carefully.
I do this every year with leeks with no problems :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 15:59 »
Here's a great video on doing leeks, and onions can be done exactly the same way.

http://www.thegrowyourownchannel.tv/feature.aspx?id=258b2m50&title=Planting%20Leeks

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 20:40 »
Great video thanks :) Have saved it to my favourites.

Slightly worried now though as i didnt completely fill my cat litter tray :S

saggy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01 »
Here's a great video on doing leeks, and onions can be done exactly the same way.

http://www.thegrowyourownchannel.tv/feature.aspx?id=258b2m50&title=Planting%20Leeks

I read about the cat litter tray method and is looking good so  far :)

xx
Too hot for seedlings!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:59
by garddwr bach
xx
My very first seedlings are through!

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 08:16
by DD.
xx
seedlings

Started by Shelley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2006, 12:22
by comic_muse
xx
What next for my seedlings?

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:58
by out4nowt

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 40 queries.