What do i need to consider?

• 9 Replies

chicken

What do i need to consider?
« on: September 18, 2009, 18:10 »
I love chickens and am seriously considering getting some.
However, this is something i know nothing about and i would do in my own back yard, not at my allotment.
I would like to know what exactly it entails to have chicken.
Thanks. x
x x Lucy x x

Roughlee Handled

Re: What do i need to consider?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 20:03 »
No hoildays unless you can get some one to look after them. 
Building a Run DO NOT PURCHASE CHEAP Chinese runs as they are far to small and will not last.
Getting up early every day and letting the out or you can pay £90 for an auto opener and closer.
Paying for vet fees.

Loosing a fair part of your garden to chickens. I would suggest 2-4 meter squared per chicken though the bare minimum is 1 meter squared. 

Worrying about them, there poo and when are they going to lay......

On the plus side you will have 1 eggs a day for 18months - 3 years max with a hybrid chicken or less frequent and for up to 6 -7 years with a pure breed chicken

Not wanting to put you off. 
Have a look here.... http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=1688.0
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 20:19 »
I defo agree with roughlee build your own coop/run, we bought a cheap one and its sh*t, we had to build a bigger run anyways so it ended up costing us twice as much.  :blink:

I would just say have an open mind and enjoy them, they give so much more than you would think. I love mine to bits and wouldn't be without them for anything.

:tongue2:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 21:01 »
Are you getting them as pets with eggs as a bonus or do you want them because you want lots of eggs. How many are you thinking of having? They are great characters and easy to keep but there's a lot that could go wrong so you need to be prepared.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 21:50 »
i would suggest do lots of research which is something i never done and i went out and got 14 ex batts without even ever touching a chicken before  :lol: :lol: build the best an biggest run you can an make it as protective agaisnt all predators as you can then you will really enjoy keeping them as you know you put the hard work in to see them happy thats what i did  :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 22:44 »
Agree with everything above.
Read up as much as you can and make sure you have everything in place before getting the birds.
Choose a breeder who has been recommended by other chicken keepers...there are pages on here.  A good breeder will be able to give you lots of practical, hands-on advice, that may not be in the books you have read!

Have a firm idea of how many you are going to get, it is very easy to go over board when faced with lots of pretty birds!!!!  I was going to get 3, (we got 6 and have just hatched another 5 chicks!)  :blush:

But most importantly, there is no turning back...let a chicken into your heart and you are lost!
 :D

Colette x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03 »
No hoildays unless you can get some one to look after them. 
That's the bit I'm struggling with just now!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:03 »
Hi, getting chickens was one of the best things i have ever done, but.....
you need to do your research, you need to know your way around a hen, what they need to eat, the living conditions, the illness that commonly(sp?) affect them.
you nee to decide why you want them...is it meat, eggs, or pets?...what do you want to do with them when they stop laying...are you quite happy for them tp live out their retirement with you?...its fine if you want them for meat/eggs, but the reasons you want them should help you decide what breeds of bird you should be looking at. Some birds are not good layers, some dont have a lot of meat on them, some are not as friendly as others etc etc, so deciding what you want from your birds is a big start :)
housing, i would build it myself, or find some one to do it for you, the bought ones are rarely any good! they look cute and twee, but they fall apart after a few good rainfalls, and they never house the amount of chickens they say!  Omlet do some lovely plastic ones. they are very expensive, but if you take into account how long they will last, and all the chemicals and wood preservative you will buy, its probably not that bad!

I let my girls free range, and they have trashed my garden! :D. i still have grass, but no flowers, veg....and the soil is all over the paths along with loads of chicken poo. so this winter we are taking some of the garden back :mad: :D. if you dont wat them to free range, build a lovely big run, with lots of things for them to do .
you ned to find a vet....not all vets know about poultry!
and lastly you ned to find someone you can trust to step in if you cant...i.e emergencies, holidays etc
this forum has so many people who will be happy to help. they have been a godsend to me and to many other people, so if you need help, ask, there will always be someone who knows the answer!. hope you enjoy your chickens, they really re fab!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13 »
You need to consider that non of your housework will get done  everyone will have to fend for theirselves while you sit with a cuppa watching them and waiting for the eggs  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and you will miss parcels being delivered because you can't hear the door and end up having flowers left behind a bin for 3 days because they didn't put a card through the door to tell you..  That's what happened to me and I only found them  yesterday because the girls that sent them had to ask me if I had them lol.
They had been sent from Next in a box and they are sending another lot today to replace the others as we didn't get them on the day.

Ok I am off up the garden again ... must listen out for the door this time  :lol: :lol: ::) ::) ::)

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:20 »
I just wanted to add that I was completely new to chicken keeping and we've now had our ex bats for 7 weeks...we have never had other pets or children and what started as a cheaper way to get eggs and an idea of living the good life has turned into the best thing I have ever done - but also one of the most time consuming (how many times do I find myself just hovering by the window watching their antics with a cold cuppa in my hands??!) and worrying too...however this forum has been fabulous for any worries/problems and to find there are other chicken huggers out there too!  I would thoroughly recommend keeping chickens if you have the time, space and money to set them up properly...
Cattin

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 39 queries.