Weedkiller

• 7 Replies

jezza

Weedkiller
« on: May 03, 2021, 15:26 »
Hello I've noticed this morning that theres been a lot of weedkiller sprayed round a couple of schools,ones a primary the others a secondary, if its Glyphosate Diquat mix it can be dangerous if the school children pick up tennis balls foot balls or do their litter picking,has any one else noticed weedkiller around their local schools or village   jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 15:40 »
I would assume that they are using a safer spray, as Diquat was withdrawn earlier this year..
https://www.syngenta.co.uk/news/product-update/diquat-dates-sale-and-use-confirmed

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 19:21 »
that reminds Jezza i need to get my roundup sorted as the weeds have started to get hold round our fences hopefully the weather mite pick up to be a bit warmer this week thanks for that topic Jezz

sunnywillow

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 19:39 »
I have some Horticultural white vinegar on order and hope to make a weedkiller using this with salt, water & washing-up liquid.
Has anyone on here tried this method and if so what are your thoughts re. the results etc?

Christine

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16 »
We've had to ban homebrew weed killers such as this on the allotments sunnywillow as we couldn't track down what had been used but had following growers complaining about the soil.

That was long after the ban on sodium chlorate came into effect - someone used it all over their allotment and then wondered why nothing grew. That was a real kill everything evil chemical. We've eventually lost the tenants who thought that Jeyes Fluid was good for the soil - it's now banned for such use but try telling that to the old timers.

So we have become a bit strict with home brews and what the old timers think we should allow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:09 »
I have some Horticultural white vinegar on order and hope to make a weedkiller using this with salt, water & washing-up liquid.
Has anyone on here tried this method and if so what are your thoughts re. the results etc?
I don't know vinegar, but salt really is not good for the soil, so I'd be careful and not use it where you want to grow anything, afterwards.

sunnywillow

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:02 »
Not thought about the soil quality after using salt. Have used it in the past for repelling slugs in garden at home. However I have some non-glyphosate Roundup, but have recently received notice from allotment landlords we are not now allowed any weed killer on our plots. So back to hoeing me thinks :mellow:

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 14:58 »

A couple of years ago someone on my site tried spraying his Brussels with (dluted?) vinegar to kill the whitefly. Not sure what it did to the whitefly but his Brussels were all dead within days!

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 48 queries.