Get prepared for storm Ciara

• 24 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Get prepared for storm Ciara
« on: February 06, 2020, 18:05 »
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/storm-ciara-named-by-met-office

I only recently replaced the glass broken in the last storm, now we've got another one on the way. Today I've been putting in a lot more glass clips. I'll be keeping everything crossed at the weekend, Sunday looks worse here.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Get prepared for storm Ciara
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 19:14 »
I just looked at the weather warning - it's just Sunday now, rather than late Saturday too, but its potential impact has been increased.

We're due to have a site care session on Sunday afternoon.  I've just emailed round to see if people want to postpone to another date, but some hardy souls are likely to want to turn out anyway  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 20:29 »
Big tides next week topping on Tuesday , if we get big winds from the West to Southwest the houses on the shore will be in trouble. :(

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 20:30 »
Weather warnings her Saturday noon to Monday. Thundershowers noon on Sunday.

Got the milk in and there's loads of tea bags.

al78

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:46 »
I've reinforced the greenhouse roof, and am going to putty some the panes this afternoon to reduce the risk of one popping out. Once the wind gets inside, it is game over.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:48 »
I've put wires across the front of the greenhouse to stop, hopefully, the double doors popping out - like they did in the storm a few weeks ago.
I've put bolts through the top sliders and spring clamps to hold the doors together in the middle. Later I'm putting some repair tape along the door edges, because the brush draught proofers don't actually seal the gap very well  ::)
I'm still not sure whether to take out a small pane from the leeward side which is only about a foot from the hedge, so that any wind that gets in can escape easily  :unsure:

al78

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 11:53 »
I've put wires across the front of the greenhouse to stop, hopefully, the double doors popping out - like they did in the storm a few weeks ago.
I've put bolts through the top sliders and spring clamps to hold the doors together in the middle. Later I'm putting some repair tape along the door edges, because the brush draught proofers don't actually seal the gap very well  ::)
I'm still not sure whether to take out a small pane from the leeward side which is only about a foot from the hedge, so that any wind that gets in can escape easily  :unsure:

No.

https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C6.html

Any opening will allow the wind in, which may generate pressure perturbations inside the greenhouse sufficient to pop panes out. Keep the structure sealed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:34 »
I think the problem here is that although the official advice is to seal the greenhouse as completely as possible, which seems sensible, but if a pane does break on the windward side, the wind will pressurise the glass from the inside, from which it's most vulnerable to being pushed out.

I suppose the theoretical answer is to remove a pane on the lee side if one or more does break on the windward side, but who in their right mind would do that in a storm with the possibility of broken glass flying about?  :ohmy:

I'm hoping the wind is from the SW, which gives my GH the maximum shelter from the adjacent hedge - more westerly and it tends to funnel through the drive between my house and next door...

Fingers crossed - stay safe everyone.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 14:39 »
I'm hoping the wind is from the SW, which gives my GH the maximum shelter from the adjacent hedge - more westerly and it tends to funnel through the drive between my house and next door...
My greenhouse is protected on all sides except the SW  ::) If the storm wind veers to WSW which some forecasters show, my g/house will stand a better chance.
As you say JayG - fingers crossed for greenhouses everywhere, as they aren't cheap to buy or repair  :(

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 18:04 »
My greenhouse is protected on all sides except the SW  ::) If the storm wind veers to WSW which some forecasters show, my g/house will stand a better chance.
As you say JayG - fingers crossed for greenhouses everywhere, as they aren't cheap to buy or repair  :(

May I ask a perhaps stupid question? We don't have one so I don't know for myself.

Can't you tape the glass, cover it or put bubble wrap on the inside? I was told that the putting bubble wrap on the inside helped keep it warm but also stopped there being a huge pressure differential. The bubble wrap was attached right underneath the glass and didn't hang down loose in any way. Covering would provide a protective barrier I thought, but could also strain it by providing something the wind to catch on to.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 22:06 »
For me, the Met office has been so 'risk averse' with its yellow and amber weather warnings over the past few years that I suspect most people take no more notice of them they do motorway warning notices.

Hope tomorrow isn't the day they finally get one right.  ???

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 22:54 »
The glass in mine is taped with brown parcel tape.   a) it is holding it together   b)    I have opened the door a tad like 1/2 inch and one very small window has never been glazed anyway, so the wind can go through.  I have been quoted £2600 to rebuild it, and there are only two sides on a 3 foot brick wall  :ohmy:  So if it comes down at least the man can reduce his bill, as he won't have to.     Half full or half empty ???  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 08:15 »
My greenhouse was an inexpensive one - gift from family and they weren't into clubbing together for anything really decent and didn't really know what they were buying.

Today it looks to be wrecked. Don't tell anyone that I'm quite content to see that it looks as if the wind is taking the rest of the frame apart. Luckily it's not at the allotments but in the back garden so less of a hassle to clear up. Disposal might be a bit more fun but that's a few days in the future.

Not sure about the few packets of seeds that might have been grown inside - aubergines and peppers. Whatever. Think the tomatoes may well do outdoors.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 11:12 »
Sorry Christine to hear about your greenhouse, especially the seedlings etc.    Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 11:20 »
We’ve lost 2 fence panels so far but every cloud has a silver lining, I was hoping to procure some such to enclose the bottom half of the Chicken pen so looks like I’m halfway there 🙄😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Forget storm Ciara Storm Dennis is on the way

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 21:46
by Growster...
xx
Storm Damage

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 17:52
by GraciesGran
clip
Did any one get any storm damage?, we did

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 16:18
by Christine
xx
Last nights Storm Damage

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 15:26
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 55 queries.