Tree cuttings

• 5 Replies

jambop

Tree cuttings
« on: December 15, 2019, 16:33 »
We lost our beloved 40 year old Eucalyptus tree the other day in a quite severe storm. The ground is so wet from all the rain we have had together with the huge amount of leaf the hold cause the soil to give way and down it came I have heard the can be propagated by cuttings so I am giving it a try... has anybody on here ever tried taking tree cuttings ? There are some specific requirements which I cannot fulfill regarding the conditions for successful rooting ie bottom heat but I have taken twenty cutting in the hope that maybe one or two produce roots... got to be worth a try?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Tree cuttings
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 10:34 »
I don't think eucalyptus is the easiest, but you have nothing to lose.  I would split them and try some indoors in a pot covered with a polythene bag and some outdoors to see if they will make roots over winter.

A quick search turned up stuff saying you need mist units and the like, which is where my thinking about the poly bag came from.  Regarding the bottom heat, do you have a fish tank you could stand a pot on or maybe a warm spot over a radiator.  It only has to be gentle heat from the base in most cases.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 18:23 »
One thing is ... I have endless amounts of material to take cuttings from  :lol: Honestly though the tree was magnificent and quite old at about 40 years... I will never live to see a tree like that in the garden again but I just thought it would be nice to start a few new ones off. I am going to try your idea about trying some in a poly bag indoors... again nothing to lose. In the end if I cannot get any cuttings to take I will try to find one to buy.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 22:51 »
Will it not put up new shoots from the roots? I'm not familiar with Eucalyptus but I've seen trees that have done it loads of times.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 11:19 »
Will it not put up new shoots from the roots? I'm not familiar with Eucalyptus but I've seen trees that have done it loads of times.
Yes there are a lot of tree that will regrow from a stump ... unfortunately this tree has been torn out of the ground and the roots have all been ripped up. You can see the tree lying on the ground with the roots torn out in the background of this photo.
DSCN3998.JPG

jezza

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 20:00 »
Hello cut the tree off pile compost against the uprooted section it will probably shoot my uncle had  a eucalyptus come down 10 years ago we cut it off from the roots it 're grew only problem is it grew across four gardens rooting every 6 foot or so it's just been cut up again 12 inch diameter 60foot long it'll keep uncle wood turning for years   jezza

xx
monkey puzzle tree cuttings??

Started by mickeyboy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 19:48
by Arbutus
xx
cuttings

Started by TINTIN on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 13:06
by tode
xx
Cuttings

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:30
by Antonius
xx
cuttings outside

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 17:01
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 45 queries.