Vermiculite V's Perlite

• 5 Replies

bainsk8

Vermiculite V's Perlite
« on: October 24, 2012, 23:57 »
Is there a big difference between the two?

I personally have always bought Perlite because its what was shown to me when I first started propagating. I was just about to place an order for some more, but then I thought what about that other stuff Vermiculite. Basically they are the same price, and both come from volcanic rock, what am I missing here?
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

Trillium

Re: Vermiculite V's Perlite
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 00:21 »
This explains it better than I can:

LINK

bainsk8

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 00:33 »
That's great Trillium thank you. I see that both hold water slightly differently so would each have a good use in different situations. I mostly use Perlite to aerate and remove excess moisture from the compost, so will stick with it for the time being but I can see an use for Vermiculite although its subtly different.

Thanks again.  ;)

syks grower

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06 »
I always use perlite in my compost for peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes etc  because it opens up the structure of the compost and stops the plants  becoming waterlogged in cool weather like this year.
I find it makes watering easier in cool temperatures but sunshine and showers weather which is common in early spring.

I use vermiculite as a fine  covering for very  small seeds that require light to germinate.
It keeps the surface damp, but still allows light in. using vermiculite   has greatly improved the number of seedlings i get out of a packet 

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:18 »
Very interesting!  I never realised the differences but I'm glad I've been using perlite correctly for extra aeration and drainage in my pots.

Quote from: worldseedsupply.org
Vermiculite and perlite are both non-organic soil additives that are used to aerate the soil.

I guess this is referring to the fact it is made of rock and not organic mass?  Does anyone know whether Perlite or Vermiculite can be used in organic gardening?  I always thought it could be since its just volcanic rock but maybe it goes through some non-organic washing or refining process? :blink:
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 15:14 »
You need to figure out just where you want to draw your own organic line on this. True organic purists probably wouldn't but will spend a lot of time/money making other products instead.

I garden as organically as I can but sometimes ease and cost require that I use other methods. I do use perlite in my potting mixes because I can get hold of a lot very cheaply. Grit is very difficult for me to obtain and I'm not overly keen at lots of fine stone in my mixes then soil.  Perlite is also stable, inert and doesn't add problems for me. Vermiculite costs more, is harder to get and I've figured other ways to keep my soils moist.

xx
Perlite vs Vermiculite

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2023, 13:34
by pepsi100
xx
perlite and vermiculite

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 21:40
by digalotty
xx
Perlite or Vermiculite

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 16:17
by moose
xx
Perlite or Vermiculite

Started by TerryB on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 22:59
by galen

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.