Which make of hedge trimmer to buy?

• 13 Replies

Browser

• Experienced Member
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:47 »
Ladies and gents, experiences need please. I'm looking to buy a new hedge trimmer as the one we've got has too short a blade and I can't reach 'owt! I had settled on a Bosch from Screwfix until I happened on several unfavourable reviews online, all of which listed the clutch mechanism between blade and motor as a problem spot.
I am looking at a Makita at the mo but am willing to consider any other make. I'd like a reasonable maximum thickness capacity, somewhere around 20mm, don't want cordless and havent got acres of Leylandii or similar to trim, just a varigated hedge, large-ish holly tree and several other shrubs.
Opinions please? :D
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19 »
Probably overkill, but I borrowed my Dads Stihl petrol hedge cutter the other day and its an awesome machine. Its no heavier than a decent electric hedge cutter, but it much more powerful and you don't have to fiddle around with extension leads and worry about cutting through them.

He's tried most electric machines and they never seem to last.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:30 »
Yeeesss, I;ve looked at petrol ones, but the noise of that two-stroke motor thrashing away in me lug'ole would drive me mad.
Thanks for the reply though :D

cootuk

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 17:54 »
wear ear defenders?

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 21:56 »
Quote from: "cootuk"
wear ear defenders?

I was just thinking that myself.

Browser, I've been in "the trade" for years now.
I can't think of any electric hedge cutters that I would recommend :roll:
My Dad used to have something made by black and decker years ago.
the handle looked like it was an adaption from one of their old metal electric drills.
Now that one was fantastic! it'd cut just about everything. They are all made of plastic ( or tissue paper and spit ) now, and very easily broken.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 22:32 »
We used to use Little Wonder....then switched to True Friends brand which used to be sold by Bob Andrews..these became sold later as Hugo Freund....and later still as Freund Victoria...these had such brilliant blades that we just had to source some more after the general importation stopped...we managed to get 2 more imported via a machinery agent in the SW. We need the quality blade to get the finish we require on English Yew.

Now.....recently I noticed a distinct similarity in design between the last Freunds and the Metabo.???
 This I have not proven yet...but as 2 of our Viking brand (now sold as Stihl) are tiring we may be close to trying a Metabo....

With all our hedgetrimmers we make the blades stop in the open position at end of play....and wash the blades with a stiff brush/water/jeyes..let them dry...then lubricate them before storage...important to clean out the crud that builds up between the blade faces...

I use a Stihl petrol model on a Hawthorn hedge that I maintian in my spare trime....but at work..in a large country house garden..with Box, Beech, Lonicera, Yew...we much prefer Electric machines..

"Dori"

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 00:03 »
so do you recommend for a small woman with loads of lotty hedges to cut, very overgrown ones.  No power supply

I asked this question before but not much info was forthcoming

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:09 »
it's gonna have to be a small petrol cutter, or hand shears, compost queen.
I suppose you could try a cheapo brand first, just to make sure that you can start it, and that you feel alright using it ( they can be a bit heavy on the arms)
I think spear and jackson (not made by them) or McCulloch do a small petrol hedge-cutter.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 21:33 »
After much deliberation, I ended up plumping for a Metabo, 550 Watt, 65cm blades, so we'll see if I've made the right decision soon as wifey wants to use them to trim a hedge at the playgroup where she works. :?  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 23:31 »
Ta for that info.  Maybe I could hire one first and then buy if I like it  :D

cootuk

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 19:38 »
What about some sort of chest harness to take the weight...of the cutter :roll:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 22:41 »
I have a green one from aldi (not a honda  :cry: ) but its ok, easy to start and will work at any angle. Cheap, I forget how much. It will do the job. :D
always have a target
and an objective.

cray0752

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 20:23 »
I have used a friends petrol hedge strimmer spear and jackson i think it was the balde wasn't to long and it was ever so light weight you can pick them up from argos for about £59.99 last time i brought mine

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 22:41 »
oh right, ta for that  :D   Priced up the McCulloch which was recommended but that was £100. I'll have to compare weights

xx
Is your hedge-trimmer more like a hedge-ripper?

Started by JayG on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 06:19
by dim
xx
hedge trimmer question

Started by monsta on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 17:34
by BIG ZOOK
xx
Petrol hedge trimmer

Started by Lulu on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 22:20
by Lulu
xx
sharpening hedge trimmer?

Started by Sharon on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 17:42
by Sharon

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.