Picture of my plot and Garlic growing

• 7 Replies

fatbelly

« on: January 27, 2008, 18:58 »
Hi,

Here is a picture of my plot, which is a half plot.

Bed one has been dug over and hand weeded but no manure has been added. This bed is for my Carrots and Parsnips.

Bed two has been dug over and hand weeded and manure put on last October and today I dug the manure in.

Bed Three has been dug over and hand weeded and manure put on last October. This bed will have the manure dug into it over the next week or so.

Here you can see my Garlic which was sourced from WG last October and planted mid October. The growth is about 2 to 3 inches high and as you can see has a mulch of manure on them again this has been on since October.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

wildeone

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 19:00 »
Lovely!!! What a lot of hard work you must of put in!!! Its so interesting to see other peoples plots!!!

WG.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 19:02 »
Your garlic is further up than mine FB!  Music does seem to be a later sprouter than non-porcelain varieties.  It'll doubtless have a 6 or 8" root system by now too.

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 19:17 »
Your plot is about the same size as mine but mine has lost growing space due to a shed and greenhouse, well the greenhouse is growing space too I guess and I will be using it!  Mine is not quite so well dug over yet though!!  My garlic is in at home and one variety is about 4-5 inches tall now and the other one just poking through.  hoping for a better crop than last year which all grew but was rather pathetic in size!  But it did go in very late.  went in in november tihs year so more hopeful.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 19:26 »
CD directly behind where I took the photos are my shed and next to it a space for my GH which in coming next month.

My plot is 100 X 15, my tenancy agreement with the Council says it is 200 square metres but I don't know if that is correct.
When I took it over last May it was totally covered in Couch, Dock and Mares Tail. It took me five months of digging and weeding to get it like it is today.

wildeone

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 21:32 »
Bed one looks very sandy !? Is that something you added?   If so why?

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "wildeone"

Hi WD,
Yes you are right the plot is sandy.
Some three hundred years ago the whole site was the river bed of the Mersey and as the River diverted its course then it left silt and sand throughout the site.

I can dig down 18 to 24 inches and I hit sand, which as you know is great for drainage. With all the rain we have had this past month and last summer not once did I have water lying on the plot. But if we have a dry summer then I think I will have to water every day..

wildeone

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 19:59 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
Quote from: "wildeone"

Hi WD,
Yes you are right the plot is sandy.
Some three hundred years ago the whole site was the river bed of the Mersey and as the River diverted its course then it left silt and sand throughout the site.

I can dig down 18 to 24 inches and I hit sand, which as you know is great for drainage. With all the rain we have had this past month and last summer not once did I have water lying on the plot. But if we have a dry summer then I think I will have to water every day..
Dry summer....... what are the chances?!?!?!?  :roll:  :wink:

xx
Picture of my new plot...

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 22:37
by splodger
xx
Plot picture update.

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 10:08
by Sadgit
xx
Garlic Growing

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 18:06
by gobs
xx
Garlic for growing

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 20:37
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.